precat Lacquer, shelf life?

Larry, I'm not familiar with this product, but after looking it up I have to ask if it requires "you" to catalyze it once you open the container. If you"ve already opened it, then it sounds like you should pitch it. If it hasn't been opened & you have to "catalyze" it, then I would think it would be good. Second thought, or is that three now(?) & that is: how would the mfg know how long it would sit on the shelf befor selling? That might suggest that the buyer "catalyzes" the brew & it's good for 4 months from the time it's opened. Just a thought???

Ref. http://oem.sherwin-williams.com/ca/...ngCategory=categories/wood/finishes_topcoats/ I think the key word is "after", but what do I know, I'm a greenhorn!

"SHER-WOOD® Hi-Bild PreCat Lacquer is a fast drying, high performance, higher solids precatalyzed lacquer for the kitchen and bath cabinetry and the general wood finishing market. After catalyzation, it provides 4 months pot life as a PreCat lacquer."

i am just trying to save a buck now days and to be smart i should pitch it,., and bite the 25 dollars as a experience of things happens sometimes.. its not enough to do all i need to do anyway,, just was hoping to get by.. but cheap thoughts dont last long:)

The M.L. Campbell Agualente (waterborne) Pre-Cat that I had lasted about six months before turning to goo. Mfg. said four month life, so they were only a little bit conservative.

Spray some on scrap and see how it works.

It has a 1 year shelf life max. Anything in my shop over 9 month old I toss. This is what I waas told by my sales rep from mohawk and Mc Cambell.

My ML Campbell rep tells me that after the expiration date the catylist has lost its punch but not necessarily the lacquer. I've sprayed a lot of MLCampbell stuff and have used things well over a year old when I was doing something for myself or my family. I've never sold a project to a customer with outdated stuff however. Our kitchen cabinets at this house we are living it at the moment were done with a blend of two different buckets of pigmented ML Campbell precat. Both buckets were left overs from jobs, and both over a year old. I dumped em together, stirred and sprayed away. The cabinets were sprayed with a latex color matched to the blend and the doors were sprayed with the old blended lacquer. We've been here a bit over 6 months now and I haven't noticed any problem with any of it. I've done similar things with Magnamax clear too.

Larry, if anything it may be a bit slow drying but I've not experienced any other difficulties. You should be able to sand and reshoot if needed. Now I wouldn't use it waaayyy out of date cause I don't know what it might do.

If it's thickened, or can't pass a filter, add some lacquer thinner. It's evaporative and it will dry.

MikesMasterLogo2.gif

movingplane1.gif