SketchUp MessUp

ken depending on how you have yours setup ,, but i can go back to the older drawing and have them still there if i messed up just depends if they were there before you opend them up to edit.. i have afolder where they go automatically as a precaution.. for my dumb moves:)

yup no components ken??? you can hide parts to make the left overs a component to fix what you have.. also when you make a component it should show up in the model components dialog box..

Ken,

It sounds to me as if the model was inadvertently exploded. Go to Window>Components and click on the little house icon to get to the In Model component library. Are your components there? If so, you can reassemble the model from them. And you'll be very happy you took my advice to use only components instead of making groups. If you want, send me the SKP file and I'll have a look.

Oops. I missed that you had posted the SKP file. Unfortunately you don't have any components in the In Model library, either.

I can probably fix up your model toot sweet, though. Give me a few minutes.

Thank you Dave, I appreciate your taking the time...since it wasn't very elaborate, I was just going to start over. I believe I did hit 'explode' thinking it would do just that lol thought it would extrude each component out into space-like :eek:.

So closing the program under 'save as' was not the culprit? &/or should I be closing in a different manner? And for the old memory file, how did you correct this mistake for me?

Thanks again Dave, I've been skipping class & it sure shows :doh:

EDIT: your file worked great for me!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Double edit: Thanks for trying Larry & the tips...appreciated!....quote "i was surprized ken could get it to work" , I surprise myself all the time :p

Last edited:
Hi Ken,

It didn't take but a few minutes to fix up your model and I was happy to do it. Instead of redrawing it, I copied faces from the original out in front of the original using the Move/Copy function. Then I extruded them and made components. You have to be careful as you go along to make a component before making the next part, of course. I started by moving one part out 24 inches in front and after that, any other faces I copied got moved that same distance.

Hit explode would do exactly what you got. It doesn't make an exploded view. Although there are a couple of plugins that will make exploded views, I don't find them very useful and it isn't difficult to simply move the components away from each other.

I'm curious about the fact there were no components in your In Model components library. Exploding components in the model space won't cause them to be deleted in the In Model component library. I wonder if you were making groups instead of components because if you explode groups, they are just gone which looks like what you had happen.

Using Save As wouldn't have done anything like this but I wonder, had you already saved the file previously?

I hope that all makes sense. Ask if you need clarification. I suppose I'm going to have to give you some remedial homework to do, now. :D

I do really appreciate your fixing this! I don't use groups, my teacher carries a steel ruler so I've learned that lesson well :thumb:
Yes I had previously saved this, somehow I guess I made another file & deleted the first? Can't say for sure where I fell off the edge, but the trip woke me up some :rofl:
& once again, thanks for all you do!!!

Ken, it is strange that your components disappeared from the In Model component library but I'm glad to hear you only use components and no groups. Keep plugging away and you'll have it all down pat again.

D

yeah i thought i could find them for him by going to the library dave but i didnt see any other than the software ones the model had none??? and ken what i was referring to was being able to get the skp file in a thread.. i had tried and it wouldnt let me the way i had tried,, now that dave refreshed me i might be able to do it like you had:) wasnt being critcal:)