Veritas Cabinet Scraper

glenn bradley

A late Christmas present. Late or not, well appreciated. Styled after a #80 it does a nice job on some pecan. Does very well on some wily walnut as well.

LV Cab Scraper (1).jpg . LV Cab Scraper (2).jpg

I don't have a scraping plane so I can't speak to that. A card scraper can be used for almost any scraping task but, I primarily use them for delicate or spot work. They get used to remove mill marks from softer woods that pick them up a little deeper than harder materials. The ability to make subtle adjustments on the fly based on thumb pressure makes them great for touching up irregular areas or mild tearout.

The cabinet scraper is used by many to remove glue or other nastiness from any flat surface I have a handled carbide scraper for that. My use of the cabinet scraper is for smoothing large flat areas of reversing grain that challenge even a razor sharp smoother. I have used a high angle BU iron to deal with wild grain and will probably continue in some cases. The cabinet scraper is just another tool in the shop to allow a goal to be reached. I have a drywall "cheese-grater" in the arsenal as well :D.

Thanks Glenn. Is the cabinet scraper a substitute for sanding?

Similar to a hand plane it can put a finer surface on the material than sanding with less work. The other side of that coin is that it really only excels at doing surfaces that have an accessible start and end point in all directions; like a panel between dogs on the bench. That is; you wouldn't try to use it to finish surface an installed shelf. In my world it is also better for large open areas as opposed to narrow items. The panel that goes in a frame would get the cabinet scraper while the frame components would get the card scraper. All of these components if made from more regularly figured material would just get the hand plane or sandpaper. Pieces with wild or reversing figure get the scrapers. *** disclaimer *** All of these observations are based on my skills. I have seen a guy run a No. 6 around a face frame or over the top edges of a jewelry box to even things up and leave a tissue thin peel in every direction including going around the corner. I am not that guy ;-)

where do you use the cheese grater glenn?

It hasn't seen much use since I picked up some decent coarse rasps. Before I invested in rasps, the cheese grater would help rough out the soft facets of flowing curves on "Maloof" looking items. I am very much a "whatever gets it done" sort of guy and try not to be bound by what is traditional or "right". In the case of the sculpted tree root look that defines much of Sam Maloof's work, the rasps pretty much win over the cheese grater. If you don't have a course rasp, a $15 Surform from the BORG will hog off material pretty quick.

tree root.JPGam-Ped-Tbl-Shaping.jpg

Congrats on the late present might fine one too for a late one. :) Might be worth people noting that LV also stocks blades for the old version Stanley original $14 cdn. This is one of those tools that i think are really great to have handy. One can pick up the old stanleys at a very cheap price and rehab them with some waterpaper with a new blade boom you set to go depending on what you can get an old #80 for including your shipping. Just for those interested in this tool there is a great pdf on LV about using it and setting it up. Click on that link and you can download it.

Thanks for that link Rob. I was wondering how to use it.

You position your mouse cursor over the link and click your left mouse button once, but that's not important now. We've got a cabinet to scrape. :rolleyes:

[With apologies to Airplane (the movie) fans] :rofl:

You position your mouse cursor over the link and click your left mouse button once, but that's not important now. We've got a cabinet to scrape. :rolleyes:

[With apologies to Airplane (the movie) fans] :rofl:

Apology NOT accepted:

concentrate... concentrate... I've got to concentrate... concentrate... concentrate... Hello?... hello... hello... Echo... echo... echo... Pinch hitting for Pedro Borbon... Manny Mota... Mota... Mota...

Apology NOT accepted:

concentrate... concentrate... I've got to concentrate... concentrate... concentrate... Hello?... hello... hello... Echo... echo... echo... Pinch hitting for Pedro Borbon... Manny Mota... Mota... Mota...

Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing wood glue...wait that doesn't sound quite right? :huh:

One nice thing about the cabinet scraper is that it is much more likely to leave a level surface. Sometimes it's pretty easy to get carried away with a card scraper and leave a low spot.