Paging Dr SketchUp

Confusion > possibly due to lack of practice, more likely due to pudding for brain matter.
Anyways, I'm struggling with angled push-pulls..IE: as in the included attachment, I haven't been able to figure out how to add dadoes that correspond to the angled positions required{hope that made sense}...

Edit: also trouble using P/P as in...extend the length of the slanted vertical pieces
View attachment TVStand 2.skp

Last edited:
Push-Pull only works perpendicular to the face you're pushing/pulling.

If you need to intersect at an angle, usually what I do is draw the mating piece, get it into position, and then use the "intersect" features to make the proper geometry on for the female part of the joint (in this case, dados). Then hide the mating piece and adjust the geometry accordingly to get a dado-lookin' thing - intersect just draws lines so you'll probably have a few extra lines and faces to remove. Sometimes you also have to draw in the boxes created by the intersect to make it see the lines as a complete face (or else you get punched-through walls in your parts and can see inside where you probably don't want to).

Hope that helps - if it doesn't, a professional will be along shortly :)

Hi Ken,

Is it tapioca? I hope it isn't that instant kind. :D

As you've probably figured out, Push/Pull only extrudes perpendicular to the selected face so you can't use it for what you want to do. Instead, use the Move tool. First put a guideline along an edge in the desired direction. For the angled sides, this would be along the long edge. The guideline will give you something to follow so you can go in the right direction. Then open the component for editing and with the Select tool, drag a left to right selection box around the end of the board. Next get the Move tool and move the selection along the guideline in the desired distance.

For the dado for the shelf, first extend the ends of the shelf as above by the depth of the dado. Then open the side component for editing and trace the overlap area with the Line tool. You can then use Push/Pull to push the waste through.

Before you do any of this stuff, though, you might want to redraw the piece. You have a number of issues due to things being drawn off axis. These will cause you problems as you proceed so it would be better to fix them first. I can try fixing the model up for you if you want. If it could wait until I get home from work, I can show you live how to do all this stuff. We can get Larry, Darrel and his other brother Darrell to join us. :D :wave:

Thanks for chiming in Jason. There's good in that Ken although I don't care for the Intersect operation for this because I think it is more work than is needed for what needs to be done.

Thanks Dave, don't bother on fixing this mess, just trying to get a few ideas down while the wife 'decides' what 'we' want LOL
I like the idea however on a demo, not sure about the 'live' aspect, I'm without camera/microphone at the moment...

BTW, flavors dumberry :D

Alright. I'll hold off on fixing it for now. :D

Actually, I've already redrawn it.

Yours is in the background. They don't look much different but they are. I haven't drawn the dados yet. I've got questions about them but we can talk about that this evening.

As to the live demo, you don't need a camera or a microphone. There'll be a phone number you can call so we can talk and I'll be sharing my screen with you via the net.

Hmmm... dumberry. that's a new one but I'll try anything once. ;)

Last edited:
Again, I'm sorry about it Dave, & definitely another time. :yes:

I missed your photo somehow when I posted earlier... I recall you noticing a previous sketch of mine being off axis, maybe too much dumberry :doh: :D
You mentioned questions about the dadoes...structural integrity or ? I've wondered how strong this would be, though it's only intended for holding a 37" flat screen that weighs approx 47lb's...

No need for apologies, Ken. ;)

As to the dados, I was wondering how you plan to cut them. Maybe the parts fitting into the dados shouldn't be beveled on their ends.

D

I was only thinking that if the dados are cut at an angle with the table saw, the ends of the boards that fit into the dados won't need to be beveled. The bottoms of the dados will be perpendicular to the sides of the dados.

I hope you don't mind me jumping in here. I've been needing some exercise on SU and, since I'm on limited duty for now, I played around with Ken's drawing.

I agree with what Dave said about leaving the ends of the angled components square and cutting dadoes as you see on the drawing I attached. As to actually drawing the dadoes, I created the angled pieces and moved them into place. Then, I placed the top panel on them and dropped it 1/8" below the lower edge of the end of the angled panel. Next, I opened the top for editing and traced the outline of the angled panel using the Line tool. The final step was using the P-P tool to push the shape across (actually I clicked on the shape, entered 8.5" and hit Enter). As you can see, the dado is "cut" all the way across the top panel.

Now, in real life, what I would do is cut a stop dado in the top panel so the support panel won't show in front. Cut a notch in the front edge of both supports to allow the panel to drop into the dado and the front of the support will be flush with the underside of the top.

I didn't complete the steps on the base panel to show the dadoes, but you get the idea.

View attachment TVStand_Kenfww.skp

Bill, that method of drawing the dados is what I tried to describe. Good work.

Now we have to get you guys drawing so the front is along the red axis instead of the green. :rolleyes::D

Bill, that method of drawing the dados is what I tried to describe. Good work.

Now we have to get you guys drawing so the front is along the red axis instead of the green. :rolleyes::D

Thanks, Dave. But remember for some of us it's baby steps. :)

I played with the drawing a bit more to show the top with stop dadoes and a notch on the supports. I attached a close-up in X-ray to show the detail.

View attachment TVStand_Kenfww2.skp

That should be an easy baby step to take. ;)

Good on the stopped dados. In your latest file, hide bother the top and the two angled side pieces. Notice the geometry you have left. The face on the left looks like it should be part of the top. ;)

I was only thinking that if the dados are cut at an angle with the table saw, the ends of the boards that fit into the dados won't need to be beveled. The bottoms of the dados will be perpendicular to the sides of the dados.

Gotcha, took me a minute{that's it, I'm giving up the dumberry}, the components in my sketch show angled ends as that was the only way I could draw them, yes you are correct, the ends would not need beveling in reality. I still have my dunce hat somewhere ;)

Thanks Bill, you guys are a lot of help for sure...my own fault for not keeping up with using SU...I'm still at the crawling stage, haven't even been fitted for shoes :rofl: