Elm Bowl

Jeff Bower

I finished this elm bowl up a couple nights ago. It's one half of a crotch I found along the road a few months ago. It' just over 10" round and 2.5" high. Had some tearout in the center that I couldn't get rid of, but it has some crazy grain. Finished with danish oil and wax.

Attachments

• IMG_20130116_185316.jpg
    IMG_20130116_185316.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 51
That's some pretty wood in a pretty bowl Jeff. I had a chance to get some huge chunks of American Elm a few years ago and regretted not going back for more. That tree was standing alone in a lot that was cleared for development and had grown to a huge size--at least 5' in diameter. Most of it went to the landfill:(

Thanks Paul and Ted.:thumb:

Ted funny you should mention not going back to get more. I grabbed this and a few other pieces from a whole elm tree that was cut and left along the road. I knew I should go back, but other things got in the way. I did get back there a few days later but it was all gone by then. :doh:

Looks great, Jeff. Very pretty wood and your thick looks works well with it. :thumb: Was this wood has hard as the Siberian elm I've turned? That stuff was tough.

That really pretty Jeff, none of my elm ever looked like that...

I've been hacked off about my elm for a few years now.... I had to have an elm tree taken down right after we moved up here... it was probably close to 50 tall, about 3' at the base and dropping limbs on my new shop roof... one limb knocked a roof joist down and crimped the metal roof where it hit, the other poked a hole in the roof... but it was so much wood, I couldn't turn it fast enough and evidently elm deteriorates pretty fast... I have a pile of mushy elm out behind the shop now.

Great looking bowl Jeff. I have a elm crotch out in the shop that's been begging to be turned for at least 4 months now. Also have a 30 ft log sitting in the woods hoping i'll do something with it one of these days. Hope it don't go bad like Chucks.Have turned a few small pieces of it, and even sent a couple Big crotches to texas. Just heed to find the time to turn again.