Drawing a Waterwheel?

Dave Richards

I doodled this out this evening for a fellow who is learning SketchUp and is trying to figure out how to make one. He suggested a tutorial using this wheel as the subject. I'm curious if there'd be broader interest in something like that or if I should just do it for him. What do you think?

Why do I think you used a lot of special techniques to do that? I can't imagine placing all of those paddles manually...

and you guys thought i spoke in a different language:) i would like to see it as well dave, not sure i could replicate it but it would be interesting to see how you do the step and repeat on a circle.
and i am betting you done it in sections rather than just around the circle.. make one complete section and then just copy and paste and woolah:)

Dave, I've not done any sketchup work at all however I need a waterwheel just like that. I have a koi pond in my back yard and I have (had) a waterwheel feature that got torn up a couple years ago in a bad storm that went through. I need too remake a waterwheel. I would be very interested in how this is made.

Tom, how big is the wheel you need to make? The 'plan' I was working from calls for WRC or white oak and lists a few other woods. Construction appears to be relatively simple although the 'plan' leaves a lot to be desired. Would you want to learn to use SketchUp so you can design your own wheel?

Dave my wheel is about 25" across. It could be an inch or two smaller though. I think I did play with scetchup one evening a while back....got frusturated and have not worked with it since. I know its just a matter on the learning curve. I'll have to give it another go.
Here is an image of my waterwheel that I want to replace.
IMG_0098 (Small).JPG

I dont want to highjack this thread....I'll keep watching though.