hazards of milling

Continuing on with a little milling I didn't get to finish because of the crazy amount of rain we had last week. I knew I had some metal in the log because of the detector. I rolled the cant over to get some slabs off away from the metal. After a couple of cuts it showed metal again that was catty cornered from the original. Figured I'd found some wire that ran across the cant and I was correct. After a little surgery with the chainsaw this was the results. The pics aren't great but this is what I found. The ol' detector earned her keep again.

IMAG0852.jpgIMAG0853.jpgIMAG0854.jpg

Last edited:
You said "The ol' detector earned her keep again." What kind of metal detector are you using? Purchased where? and any other comments like "what would I rather have?" or or or or --

Thanks paul

The "Little Wizard" for about $15 has paid for itself over and over again. It is fine for metal not deeper than an inch but, for milling I would probably go with something made for deeper searching. I know some folks get "treasure hunter" style metal detectors at places like Toy-R-Us, shorten the handle and use them with good success.

You said "The ol' detector earned her keep again." What kind of metal detector are you using? Purchased where? and any other comments like "what would I rather have?" or or or or --

Thanks paul

Here's the one I use Paul http://wizind.com/lumberwiz.shtml. I have the older model without the laser. I think I got mine for around 90.00 at woodcraft, gosh probably 5 or 6 years ago. I got it because I was given a load of barn siding and it saved me then too. I wish it would go deeper. It's money down to a little over an inch, over that it's kind of hit or miss. The density of the wood also makes a difference. If it would detect down to about 3 inches it would be great. If it went much deeper than that I think the metal on the saw could cause a problem. Probably 90% of what I cut is 4/4 anyway.

Here's the one I use Paul http://wizind.com/lumberwiz.shtml. I have the older model without the laser. I think I got mine for around 90.00 at woodcraft, gosh probably 5 or 6 years ago. I got it because I was given a load of barn siding and it saved me then too. I wish it would go deeper. It's money down to a little over an inch, over that it's kind of hit or miss. The density of the wood also makes a difference. If it would detect down to about 3 inches it would be great. If it went much deeper than that I think the metal on the saw could cause a problem. Probably 90% of what I cut is 4/4 anyway.

I just bought one that came from Woodcraft but bought through Amazon for $99.95 +shipping of $10.00