Dying, Photo Set-up and Sanding Station

Nate Davey

I was hollowing this piece, when tenon broke. I couldn't get it re-centered on a face plate so turned this into an experimental piece on coloring. I've started building a WOP finish,but wanted to get a few shots of the grain before it was too shiny. This will, essentially, be a practice piece. I used diluted Fiebings Leather Dye, black, burgundy and yellow. The inside it unfinished. I still need to work on my fading techniques.
Maple Vase 01.jpgMaple Vase 03.jpgMaple Vase 04.jpg
A quick shot of my photo set-up, I use shutter speed and aperture to control exposure.
Photo Set-up.jpg
Finally, my "sanding station". Funny thing about New Mexico, in the winter time if you are in the sun and out of the wind, it's very nice; summer is the opposite, if you're in the shade and there is a breeze it's extremely comfortable regardless of temp........to some extent.
Sanding Station.jpg
Candid criticism appreciated.

No, it's mounted on the ceiling.

:rofl:

I like the dye job, Nate. Pretty piece, too, even if you weren't able to get the inside done. :thumb: I've gotten good results doing fades with an airbrush or a good HVLP mini-gun. Haven't had much luck wiping the color on.

And I can relate to the sanding station weather. It's been great here this weekend, huh? Last weekend, not so much. :D

Beautiful weekend, Vaughn. Opened up the garage door, did some finish sanding and started a new project. Last weekend was less then hospitable, it's a tad cooler up in the hills