Sanding reversed grain

larry merlau

this was a trick i thought of to help me out in a pinch and it saved time and made the procedure safer for the final out come..
this was what i had to deal with to get sanded ready for finish.
sanding trick 001.jpg
the saw is just a jamb saw that reverses for the other side when doing flooring or other uses.
sanding trick 002.jpg
worked great for this case i was able to sand the reversed grain by hand and used the saw to protect the surfaces i had already sanded
sanding trick 003.jpgsanding trick 004.jpg

You sir, are a genius. A great tip and a wake up call as to how we can be resourceful without spending hours in preparation for a task.

Ok i want to make sure i understand properly so dont :deadhorse:me i have had enough beatings today for one day. :D

I see you have taped your sanding block to reveal only a narrow strip of sanpaper to suite the middle of the board piece of wood.

But is it just me or have you got the saw in the wrong place in the photo (pic 3) for where the block is? I would expect the saw to be in the slot on the further most left side and the block then with the paper exposed showing on the strip. Or have i got the whole understanding wrong.

Rob, I think he's sanding the parts that are not the thin piece in the middle. The tape is on the top of the sanding block...the bottom is 100% sanding surface. If he was using tape to limit the sanding surface, it would have gone all the way to the edge on one side of the block.

the sanding blocks are taped to keep the paper on them i can get flat sanding on the wide side and the edges can be used as well.. in this case i sanded by hand after i used the RO on the right side of the strip, then i took and done the same thing on the other side.. then i took and used the narrow edge of the block to sand the reversed grain area.. the saw can be in either side depending on what fit you the best.. i hope this cleared it up for you rob..:)