DEWAXED shellac?

larry merlau

what is the best source for dewaxed shellac flakes,, i just ran out and almost got caught with hand in the cookie jar.. thank goodness i thought to thin it some to make it go farther.. will make note to make larger batch next time..:)

[b]http://www.shellac.net/[/b]

MikesMasterLogo2.gif

movingplane1.gif

I've always been too lazy to try using flakes. I just pick up a can of SealCoat at the big box and go for it. ;)

SealCoat is great, and I use a lot of it, but if you want garnet shellac, you've pretty much gotta mix your own from flake. I've never seen garnet, already mixed, for sale.

SealCoat is great, and I use a lot of it, but if you want garnet shellac, you've pretty much gotta mix your own from flake. I've never seen garnet, already mixed, for sale.

I'm sure you're correct, Jim. I use SealCoat as a sealer, then add TT dye to it to get the color I want and spray it on.

well after my last round i think i might be doing the same.. i almost ran out and if had used your methods bill i could have made as much as i needed.. so as fora mix lets say you need a pint of it how much tint do you use?

well after my last round i think i might be doing the same.. i almost ran out and if had used your methods bill i could have made as much as i needed.. so as fora mix lets say you need a pint of it how much tint do you use?

That's one of those "it depends" things. In general, I'd say I put around 40 drops in 8oz of liquid and layer it until I get the intensity I want. But, I've used as little as just a few drops when I want some shading. I used both mixes in a 1lb mix of SealCoat on the mahogany for my credenza.

For the bed project I hope to get back on sometime in my lifetime, I tested with different amounts of TT in water and decided on 10 drops of TT Brown Mahogany per ounce of water. That gives me the look I want on the red oak. I wipe with a damp rag first, sand the nibs, drift the dye on with a sprayer, and seal with a 1lb mix of SealCoat.

That's one of those "it depends" things. In general, I'd say I put around 40 drops in 8oz of liquid and layer it until I get the intensity I want. But, I've used as little as just a few drops when I want some shading. I used both mixes in a 1lb mix of SealCoat on the mahogany for my credenza.

For the bed project I hope to get back on sometime in my lifetime, I tested with different amounts of TT in water and decided on 10 drops of TT Brown Mahogany per ounce of water. That gives me the look I want on the red oak. I wipe with a damp rag first, sand the nibs, drift the dye on with a sprayer, and seal with a 1lb mix of SealCoat.

Bill,

Thanks for the posts. I am building a hope chest, mission style, black walnut frame and 1/2" ash ply panels. I'd like to add a little dye to the seal coat on the walnut to darken a bit more (I am sealing the parts prior to final assembly). What color dye would you suggest to darken the walnut keeping in mind I just want to darken not change the color? Can I get this dye locally maybe at an arts store or something?

Thanks
Jack