Returning Big Box Warped Wood for Refund

David Agnew

Hey guys. I've never returned wood to a big box store due to warpage. Are they going to give me static? I have the receipt. The store is HOME DEPOT.

For clarity, here's the situation:

Four days ago, Saturday the 19th, I bought 83 2x2 PT balusters for my deck. I needed 75 and figured 10% waste or mistakes. They've been sitting in my climate controlled garage until tonight, when I sorted them. A full 17 of them are too twisted and warped to use and 6 more are iffy. These things are no use to anyone - will they let me return them or claim I did something to cause the warpage, "warpage is normal w/ PT wood," etc? It's only been four days and not like the wood sat outside for 6 wks of rain storms. 20% trash rate is ridiculous.

I'm not a happy camper.

Thanks.

Don't know about your location but around here they will swap them out or give you your money back no questions.

I choose to not deal with Home Depot after several sorry experiences with them.
One involved some clear lumber I bought. On inspection at home I found marks, indentations from handling equipment that was not evident in the store lighting. The marks were too deep to sand out. HD basicly shrugged their shoulders and said "that is the way it is" and would not allow exchange or refund.
BTW, the local Lowe's is nearby. The Lowe's parking lot is always full. You could safely play cannons in the HD parking lot.

Thank you for the insights. I hope my experience goes like Chuck and Bob's rather than Frank's.

Frank - Funny, around here, it's the opposite. Lowes is mostly garden, kitchens, baths, etc. HGTV stuff. They only carry whitewood, fir, cedar, and ProWood brand PT - which is often warped and cracked. I realize they're not a specialty house but electrical, plumbing, and hardware are anemic. The tools section is also the minimums. Everything seems to be $.50-$1 more expensive.

HD around here has regular whitewood construction, fir, SYP, cedar, various composites, and YellaWood PT. Two full aisles of moulding. A small selection of AC plywood and a decent selection of 2'x4', 4'x4' and 5'x5' veneered plywood. It's dirtier than Lowes, but they have more STUFF. Never had a problem w/ them before.

Around here they will do returns no questions asked. Even kiln dried lumber from the BORG should be fastened/installed/whatever almost immediately as it is bulk-rate stock and hardly stable. BORG's are not lumber yards and they don't source or handle the materials like a reputable lumberyard would. Speed, price and convenience is the name of the game at the BORG. Buy what you will install today or tomorrow. Use the money you saved to buy gas for the return trip for next weeks materials, etc. :thumb:

If for whatever reason they refuse to accept your returns, that is probably a location-specific policy, or mis-management decision, which I hadn't heard of before. If they refuse, then I might suggest calling them again, or contacting another local HD store. I've never run into a return problem & wouldn't expect any unless the product was indeed not the same as purchased. Even then, HD would normally give their customer the benefit of doubt.

HD around here has regular whitewood construction, fir, SYP, cedar, various composites, and YellaWood PT. Two full aisles of moulding. A small selection of AC plywood and a decent selection of 2'x4', 4'x4' and 5'x5' veneered plywood. It's dirtier than Lowes, but they have more STUFF. Never had a problem w/ them before.

Where is "around here"? What's the location?

MikesMasterLogo2.gif

movingplane1.gif

Speed, and convenience... BORG.

I dont know Glenn those three words dont seem to fit in the same sentence for me as far as my Home depot is concerned. :rofl: For speed we have those self checkout machines......oy vey!!! and convience ........our label is "out of stock" but i guess the word BORG does. :D They will take back anything often even without the original receipt.

But i wont complain i dont have to do Stus drive to his local Borg for lumber or other stuff and sure as heck dont pay his prices.

Ho-hum. Much ado about nothing. Woman at the return desk didn't even bat an eye, nor count when I dropped the pile on her counter and said "If I counted right, there's 18". Bought a new bundle; it'll stay strapped and weighted until the day of work.

Thanks for your insights, guys.

Is the location of the Home Depot you mentioned a big secret? Or, your general location, like even the state? The location in addressing issues can help in getting responsible replies.

It looks like he has already returned it without a problem.

Posted 1-23-13
David Agnew said:
Ho-hum. Much ado about nothing. Woman at the return desk didn't even bat an eye, nor count when I dropped the pile on her counter and said "If I counted right, there's 18". Bought a new bundle; it'll stay strapped and weighted until the day of work.

Thanks for your insights, guys.

Ike

Is the location of the Home Depot you mentioned a big secret? Or, your general location, like even the state? The location in addressing issues can help in getting responsible replies..

Mike, David hasn't been on the forum since he said the return went off without a hitch...

Mike, David hasn't been on the forum since he said the return went off without a hitch...

Yes, I know that. I read his reply. It's nice to know what happens in different parts of the country, or the different types of inventory. All I asked was where the store was, or where he is located. Doesn't seem too much to ask...does it?

MikesMasterLogo2.gif

movingplane1.gif

the good thing is home dep took it back, no questions asked.

I once had to return a hand held planer and the tool guy was called over and refused to take it back.

He was insisting I used it, put nicks in the blade, and was extremely adamant about refunding my money.

I then went ahead and insulted him, (he looked to be in his mid to late 70s), and told him to go get someone younger who can see straight and show me where the blade was nicked.
When he insisted again I tell him why I didnt want it, I simply said because you sold me a piece of junk. He then flung(yes, flung) the box 10 feet towards the shopping carts and snarled at the register girl/return desk to refund my money.(it was a while ago, I dont remember the exact words, but that was the way it went)

I never had any problem before or after that returning anything to the depot. I purchase extras on hardware and things and return what I dont need in case one is damaged I know I get the same lot.

mike-some people are sensitive about their home location or where they are, so we have to respect their privacy if thats an issue to them, even though Im not sure it was daves.

mike-some people are sensitive about their home location or where they are, so we have to respect their privacy if thats an issue to them, even though Im not sure it was daves.

"Sensitive"...to say the least. Not too friendly to stay anonymous, with no info whatsoever in his profile. Just seems like hiding to me. Doesn't meld with the feeling of "community" established for Family Woodworking.

MikesMasterLogo2.gif

movingplane1.gif

I dont think location is that important, as Ive found out there are nasty and totally uniformed people working for the chains everywhere in the country.

I usually dont even bother anymore with sales associates walking around their aisles. I know who the local managers are and if I have a question I want answered correctly about a product, I just walk over to him and ask him, or ask for him and find him.

wait, not meaning to bash hd, there are lots of great sales help, and people willing to help me, but it seems when Im there most of them are busy and the people I get to help me arent interested if they have to get someone to get something down, dont want to put down their cell phone, like I interrupted their texting conversation with their girlfriend, and sometimes it seems like Im pulling their teeth to get them to move or show me something when after 20 minutes I cant find in the spot they told me it was at.

Last edited:
I would have gone right home and sent HD a complaint repeating that story. Incidents like that can have a huge ripple effect in a local area and hurt business. Most big company websites will have a contact for corporate in addition to the standard customer service feedback. You might have to dig for it, but they are usually available. If not, I will resort to old fashioned paper letters at times.