Ridgid Jointer???

Al Launier

Although I'm not into furniture quality woodworking, not yet anyway, it's become apparent that 90° edges are critical for butt gluing boards & keeping the resulting larger board flat, otherwise a "bow" results in the wider board. I've kinda been looking at this jointer & wonder what your thoughts are in terms of quality, features that would be useful, and how well it might suit a "casual" woodworker.

http://nh.craigslist.org/tls/3548246612.html

This Ridgid jointer sells for $549 at Home Depot, but I doubt if I would get the original purchase receipt from the current owner that would be needed for warranty coverage.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...s-_-pla-_-202269174&ci_gpa=pla#specifications

What do you think guys?

I have had that jointer for several years. it have been good for what I do with it, mostly hobby stuff. I have used it quit a bit and have been very satisfied with it. Of the tools I have, the jointer is the one that scares me the most to use.

Of the tools I have, the jointer is the one that scares me the most to use.

I'd give it a toss up between that and the shaper for me. Either one will quickly reduce your hand to a stub amazingly quickly.

That unit seems to get really good reviews. I don't think he's doing you any special favors on the price, they were discounted out of HD last year in the $275-$290 range when they stopped carrying them (I think they are fully discontinued now but am not sure).

I've also see positive reviews about that unit. Ryan might be right on the past prices, but I kind of doubt you'll find a comparable NIB jointer for $300. I paid a bit more than that several years ago for a basic Grizzly jointer.

Good deal at that price considering you wont be able to get it anywhere else and its still in the box and not been beat up by someone. That means new blades.

But Al i think back to when you joined our forum and boy all i got to say is its bad news hanging around with us. YOu now bitten completely. :rofl: BUt its a good bitten welcome to the wonderful world of woodworking. :thumb:

But Al i think back to when you joined our forum and boy all i got to say is its bad news hanging around with us. YOu now bitten completely. :rofl: BUt its a good bitten welcome to the wonderful world of woodworking. :thumb:

Please don't point things like that out. I've been desperately in denial about how much hanging out on wwing forums has cost me.... :rofl:

Yup! You guys sure are a bad influence on me. I've been checking out the various fixtures/jigs for my toys and even have looked for new/other toys; jointers & router table currently topping the list. :thumb: I've been telling my wife that I need to make these fixtures & buy some "badly needed equipment" in order for me to build her birdhouse. ;)

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!!!

My wife falls for it every time. "Well, if you think that you really need it to make the (whatever) for me than go ahead" :D

I saw that jointer on CL. Looks like a pretty decent deal. Lots of folks really like that machine.

Many many years ago when I bought mine, it was on special sale for about that price, so I think you got a good deal. It is a great jointer for a 6+ inch unit. I had mine for many years before I went to a 16 inch jointer.

Yup, it was new all right. Unfortunately the owner didn't have an original sales receipt after having bought it a couple years ago. I'm submitting the Ridgid registration anyway, along with the attached pictures, to demonstrat that it is new. Hopefully this works.

Regardless, at least I'm in the game with a decent tool, even if it's only at an amateur level. It's fun to have toys!

Attachments

• Ridgid Jp0610 Jointer Planer 1-25-2013-1.jpg
    Ridgid Jp0610 Jointer Planer 1-25-2013-1.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Ridgid Jp0610 Jointer Planer 1-25-2013-2.jpg
    Ridgid Jp0610 Jointer Planer 1-25-2013-2.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Ridgid Jp0610 Jointer Planer 1-25-2013-3.jpg
    Ridgid Jp0610 Jointer Planer 1-25-2013-3.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 20
Thanks Bob. I'm going to start assembling it this morning. I have a neighbor, the one who helped me load it into my vehicle, who'll help me flip it upright if needed. The CI tables & fence are surprisingly heavy, more than I expected. I think the jointer is heavier than the bandsaw.

I do have a question for you pros & that is: if I decide to mount lockable swivel casters to the base feet, will that negatively affect the performance of the jointer? I was just wondering if the "looseness" from the bearings in the swivel casters would allow vibration & affect the finish when planing or jointing???

The cement floor is fairly level and I'm thinking of positioning the jointer in an alternate position & I could shim under a caster if needed to keep it level.

al the casters wont affect the cut, but the use of it might be harder if it wants to roll so just have rollers on the outffed end and just some rubber ends on the infeed end to keep it from sliding away from the pressure your pushing..

I have had that jointer on an HTC Universal Mobile Base for four years, with no problems of any sort. The base has fixed wheels on the outfeed end. and retractable swivel casters on the infeed side. When the casters are retracted, the infeed end rests on fixed pads.

Tony

Last edited: