veneer sliver trouble:(

larry merlau

well once again dave and this forum has saved my back side.. i was on the last coat of sealer which was toned, and was doing the touch sand before top coat.. and as if i needed another problem, murphy dropped in to visit.. just to fill in the gaps here i am trying to finish up a dresser to go to Detroit this wknd for a BDay party.. well here is what happened, i had seen this while building it and figured the the ply must have had a void or something and they plugged the spot it looked pretty good in dry form so i went on my merry way.. now we get to finishing still no trouble till the end of the sealer coats with toner.. as i was sanding the surface this little sliver came off:((:)eek: fortunately it stayed intact and floated to the floor.. i picked it up and thought on how dave would fix this.. believe me i was even almost calm during this no bad words and no panic.. i am starting to believe in my memory of others fixes that i have seen and they do come back still..
well i went to the glue shel;f and grabbed some thin CNA glue, knew it was my only chance and remembered that you pen guys finish with it so figured it could to.. gave it a shot of glue and then had to much.. the right brain kicked in and said dont wipe off with finger:) so i left the glue and held the piece in place, reason it came of is it was just pressed in no glue, poor quality control on that sheet. any way it stayed and i scraped it flat with a cabinet scraper and a razor blade best i could after it dried.. then toned it back again and went on with the top coat.. so thanks dave for showing me so many tricks and to the turners for saying great things about CNA glue finishes.. by the way if i run into to much glue again what is the best way to get the excess off?

finishing trouble again 001.jpg
there looks to be two and its the one on the right that left
finishing trouble 2.jpg
so after retoning i think it will pass.

Nice save Larry, You mentioned no glue behind the sliver...I've run across pieces like that a time or two myself, always thought some scrap fell on it as the sheet{s} are being
formed{pressed :dunno:}...got lucky once by leaving a damp rag over the spot after removing the sliver, and the depression it left sprung back out. Ramble ramble ramble lol

Your doing good !
SO how are you liken refinishing ?

As I said with Mag you can not load the finish up. 3 coats tops.
That's why I like using the sanding sealer to help build to the thickness I like and then 1 coat Mag wait at least 6 hours or over night and
lightly sand then a good heavy coat.

Last edited: