A Small Live Edge Wall Case

Dave Richards

I was poking around somewhere and saw a piece of art that looked like it could have been something useful or functional. I guess art is sometimes useful. ;) Anyway, I thought I'd doodle up a little wall case. Now I want to find some live edge boards. Around here that seems to be a challenge. The nearest local hardwood supplier doesn't carry anything with a live edge. I'm thinking a road trip will be needed.

I drew the panels at 1/4 in. thick. Do you think I could get away with 1/8 in. between them? I'll need to cut grooves for the panels to slide in but I don't want them to turn into one wide groove if you know what I mean. Or maybe I could find an aluminum extrusion with two slots in it for the slides?

Last edited:
Cool design, Dave. I'll bet Larry could hook you up with some live edged wood. ;)

I think 1/8" between the panels would cutting it pretty close, but doable. If you can find it, I think the aluminum channel would be a safer bet. (It would even be possible to mill up the aluminum yourself with a router table, a sharp 1/4" carbide bit, and a healthy dose of caution.)