Template routing question.

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
If you wanted to route a recess to hold a square plate, would you make a jig to use a bearing or a bushing?

I'm leaning towards making one of Glens jigs and using a bearing.

I guess if you were able to make the recess in one pass you could use a top-bearing bit in a plunge router.

My preference, if the recess is deep enough to require multiple passes - like anything deeper than about 3/8" - is to use a guide bushing and a straight bit designed for plunge cutting.

Why not set it up for a bit with a guide bearing but cut it out first with a bushing and a straight bit. That way you get a nice clean final cut as the majority of the material has been removed.

Why not set it up for a bit with a guide bearing but cut it out first with a bushing and a straight bit. That way you get a nice clean final cut as the majority of the material has been removed.

Now why didn't I think of that. That is actually perfect.

I'm going to be cutting a hole for ventilation in my entertainment center.

So the steps as I see it are:

1. Create a template the exact size of my filter grill.
  2. Position the template on the workpiece.
  3. Rough cut the hole with a jigsaw
  4. Use a rather large bushing to clean up the hole.
  5. Use a bearing bit to cut the shallow recess to exactly the size of the filter screen.

Thanks guys, That should do it just perfect! :thumb:

Just posted the latest progress in the entertainment center thread.

I went with a disposable template. Didn't end up having all the other bits and pieces I would need to have finished the adjustable jig.

Still like the idea of Glenns adjustable jig.

FWW-4485.jpg

I'm late to the party but, prefer bearings when feasible. This lets me set the jig "right on the line" as opposed to having to account fore the offset. That being said, I use bushings a lot as they allow "regular" bits that I can't get a bearing on (even with all the parts I have in my Frank-n-bit bearing and collar collection) to be used for template/duplication routing.