Alien Egg

Nate Davey

And it's hatched. Probably not going to float too many peoples boat, but, believe it or not, this is what I was shooting for. When I bought my lathe, thrown in the deal was three Manzanita Root Burls. This is the smallest of the three. I was trying for an egg'ish shape and wanted to keep some of the wrinkly buttress. There were a couple rocks that had become part of the burl, which I would have like to have kept, but they didn't hang around. The base is part of the trunk with a little turning. This is some REALLY dense wood, got to practice sharpening a lot. I left if pretty thick as there are a lot of variations in the exterior that I wanted to leave in place. I sanded the exterior to 600 with Abranet and waiting for an order from Vince to finish sand the inside. Finish on the "refined" portion of the outside is WOP. 10" tall and 8" wide.
Manzanita Root Burl.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice, Nate. :thumb: Manzanita is some tough stuff, huh? As my buddy Mark Cothren would say, it's as hard as woodpecker lips. :D I think it dulls tools faster than any other wood I've turned. Worth the effort, though. :yes:

That has the look of a High Failure Rate alien Nate...good to see you're still in one piece! Sure is a big sucka...maybe a alien elephant!