Plasti-Dip for Clamp Handles

glenn bradley

I have posted this before. I got a new can of Plasti-Dip and was going through the process to dip some clamp handles and thought I would share how I do it. I put a 45* V bit in the table, set the fence for half the diameter of the handle to be grooved, add a stop so things stay neat and slid the handle through at 3, 6, 9, and 12 o'clock.

Plasti-Dip-Handles (1).jpg . Plasti-Dip-Handles (2).jpg

I lightly wipe the handles with Naphtha or alcohol just before I dip them to remove any oils that might be on them. I have tried other variations including no-grooves. The grooves really help with control on the smaller clamps (I notice this most when I have a non-grooved clamp in the batch I am currently twisting on) which are usually doing more delicate things. I plan to do the larger clamps I have that do not lend themselves to other methods I have used. Here's an old one:

Plasti-Dip-Handles (3).jpg

The following pics are of clamps that were done 1 and 2 years ago. None have failed (even a little) including some of the ones where you can see I did not get it on very thick. Surprisingly resilient.

Plasti-Dip-Handles (4).jpg . Plasti-Dip-Handles (5).jpg . Plasti-Dip-Handles (6).jpg

Last edited:
Looks good! I like the hockey tape version myself, cheaper I bet too, plus I don't think I can get that plastidip stuff over here, or at least I've never seen it.

Here's some from the last batch:

Plasti-Dip-Handles(7).jpg . Plasti-Dip-Handles(10).jpg . Plasti-Dip-Handles(9).jpg

I dipped some so-so quality knobs and push stick too:

Plasti-Dip-Handles(8).jpg . Plasti-Dip-Handles(11).jpg

Don't forget to refresh those jointer push-pads as long as I'm at it:

Plasti-Dip-Handles(12).jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the reminder on the Plastidip Glenn. The spring clamps I won from Bessy this past Christmas don't have plastic covered handles so gripping them was kind of difficult. They must be made for welders. I picked up a can of Plastidip yesterday at Lowes. I'll drill a couple of holes in the handles today and dip them :thumb:

Neat idea for the push pads too :)