Working Moose

Dan Mooney

Moose.jpg

This guy raised an abandoned moose calf with his Horses, and believe it or not, he has trained it for lumber removal and other hauling tasks. Given the 2,000 pounds of robust muscle, and the splayed, grippy hooves, he claims it is the best work animal he has. He says the secret to keeping the moose around is a sweet salt lick, although, during the rut he disappears for a couple of weeks, but always comes home...

My dad used to tell me stories about a fellow who lived around where he did growing up in northern BC that had a moose "broke" to drive a sled. It sounded like kind of a bad idea, more of a quasi controlled runaway than anything else (although knowing a little about some of the horses some of them fellows used it might not have been all that different). If I recall correctly it was supposed to have been a castrated bull.

Don't know about Moose as not too many in Texas when I was growing up.... but my mom used to tell a story about my dad and a pair of half broke mules that he used to pull his wagon... When I was born, my dad was a share cropper and didn't own his own teams... to have a team to work the farms, he would take a pair of young wild mules and break them to work, then give them back to the owner and take another pair for the next season... he had a young team hitched to the wagon and was taking my mother and two kids, about 6 months (me) and my sister about 2 1/2, to see mom's parents... a journey of just over 12 miles.... he had my grandfather's big mule tied along side the youngster as a "steady"... somewhere shortly after they got on the main road, the young mules took the bits in their mount and started to run... dad couldn't hold them back, so mom said he stood up in the wagon, told her to hang on..(and to two babies) and used the ends of the lines (reins) and started whipping the mules into a full run... that was the shortest trip to Granddad's house they ever made... those mules were totally shot when they got there, but they walked home like they were supposed to.