Red Cedar - Orange Osage - and a thank you to Paul Gallian

Dan Mosley

I received a a box today from Paul Gallian and I want to thank him for the pen blanks and kits he sent - I had the day off and the postman came early so it was a very nice suprise - So, I turned several of both Cedar and Osage and sanded thru 2000 - 5-6 coats CA - Shellawax and lightly buff on the lathe - Slimline Pro Kit used and the picture were taken off my iphone but in real they turned out very nice........................
Note: I read where another pen maker uses Lacquer instead of CA - then builds on it with Mylands or shellawax or Hut with sometimes a final coat of Ren wax...........
The problem I see with that is whether the Lacquer has really cured like it should but the turners states you can move right along just like if you were using CA. I have
never tried Lacquer but ill let ya know when I try it.....................thanks Dan

Attachments

• Monday-3.jpg
    Monday-3.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 41
  • Monday-6.jpg
    Monday-6.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 37
Doggone it, wood is sure pretty stuff.

Question: Will the orange osage change to brown with time? Or does the CA have UV absorption qualities that prevents that? If you are selling them and if it does change color, how do you prepare the purchaser for that change?

Nosy aren't I (that's a rhetorical question so there is no "?" at the end.

Enjoy,

JimB

It can take a while tough... I have a couple of limbs about 2 inches dia that I cut in Texas about 8 years ago and the ends are still showing the green and gold color they had when I first cut them.

And this is a duck call that's at least 5 or 6 years old that still shows it's original color.... it will brown up eventually though.

21-068.JPG

Chuck, it darkens from exposure to UV rays, so if that duck call has been in a gear box or hunting bag for most of its life, it'll stay yellow(ish). If it's exposed to sunlight for a few months, I'm betting it'll darken pretty quickly.

Nice work, Dan, and way to go Paul. :thumb:

I'm not a pen finishing pro, but it doesn't make sense to me to be putting a shellac finish over either CA or lacquer. Both of those are harder than shellac, and will buff to an equal or better finish. The shellac and wax finishes (Myland's or Shellawax) are both quite a bit less durable than either CA or lacquer. The Renaissance wax does help protect against fingerprints (at least initially), but shellac and carnauba wax blends don't even give you that. ;)

i agree with not having shellac be on top of lacquer as for CA thats a new place for me and i put it on top of shellac and lacquer sealer in the sliver repair..

Dan's box contained wood from my place here in S.W. Missouri. Red Oak, Sassafras, Osage Orange, Eastern Red Cedar, Black Walnut, and others (old brain is not remembering) I also have some Ash, hickory, hackberry, red bud, white oak, maple, dogwood, and others. Most are not figured or spalded.

Yes the hedge will turn to a rich brown -- It is a guess as to the color of the brown - light to dark. I can talk about an experiment I did once on the Maclura pomifera, (Bois d'arc) I did -- I did not use controlled science and it would not standup to publication standards -- it did give me results.

Dan I hope you use and enjoy the wood. I really like the wood you sent to me. thanks..
Paul

Jim, ....... Well - I thought about the orange and starting to turn brown - One of them in the photo (I do not remember which) had a very light area in a section so I mixed up some alcohol with a couple drops of transtint amber (very weak)and blended in the spot with several swipes until it matched up - it actually blended in very well and you can not see where it was blended - so what im thinking is that if you are wanting to keep it that color that maybe some dye would stop the discoloring.

I do use Ren wax and buff lightly on some pens and it works fine but, I also have finshed these pens in alot of different ways just to see what different combinations of applications - there is a noticable improvement in the shine when I applied the Mylands or shellawax over the CA - I understand your point that it does not make sense but it works - I have actually used the same paper towel in the same spot and after several coats of mylands put a dab of Shellawax and rubbed it in also - it works and I see no noticable issues with it - I have even put a drop of CA on the rag with Mylands or Shellawax and rubbed them in on different pens - it works to - I am guessing Lacquer would work in place of the CA but with only a drop or two needed and the fast drying I like using the CA.