TV Stand

No matter what Larry says, ya dun gud.

Did you find when you went out to the shop to build this that you had a very clear idea in your head about what you needed to do? You'd already built it at least once in the drawing of it and could look at it from all sides to know what you're expecting to see.

Now we need to figure a way to push your skills a little more. ;)

No matter what Larry says, ya dun gud.

Did you find when you went out to the shop to build this that you had a very clear idea in your head about what you needed to do? You'd already built it at least once in the drawing of it and could look at it from all sides to know what you're expecting to see.

Now we need to figure a way to push your skills a little more. ;)

Yes Dave, it was very beneficial to have used SketchUp before diving into the build, but with my 'slow as molasses' skill-set in using the program, I find I'm still on the fence about it. On one hand as you mentioned, it's great to see the idea in 3D as to the dimensions, fit and over-all look. But on the other hand, the time it takes me to draw it out just about doubles the time to actually make the item from mental pictures & doodles.

Add in that I actually enjoy the challenge{and usually the outcome} of required mid-build adjustments{read: cover up screw-up's lol}... that plan's to me, have always felt like work more than enjoyment & creativity{strictly speaking from this hobbyist's point of view}...I'm sure that will change as SketchUp becomes more easily used, but still.... :dunno::huh::D

As to pushing my skills &/or teaching me something...lets shoot for geometry, heck, math as a whole for that matter :rofl:

I understand what you mean, Ken. I think it will get easier the more you use it. I guess it's like anything you do in the shop, too.

I was thinking that your project is a good exercise in geometry. You know, parallel lines, equivalent angles and so on.

Last edited: