Somewhat dissapointed in Hitachi

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
A few years ago I needed a 3/8" corded drill for a specific job. I purchased an Hitachi at Lowes for about $35. When I got it home and began to use it I had problems with vibration and the chuck coming loose. I was in a rush, so I pushed through and, when the job was done, tossed the drill in a drawer and forgot about it. During my recent cleaning and re-org of the shop I pulled the drill out to give it another try. Same issues.

I took a closer look and found, what I believe to be, a manufacturing defect in the jaws of the chuck. (I have to assume the protrusion in the one jaw should not be there.) I contacted Hitachi support and described my problem (I told them I had pictures but the form did not allow for attachments). To Hitachi's credit I received a response in about 30 min. However, it simply told me what the part number was for the chuck and where it could be purchased.

I responded to the email, attaching the pictures, and explained that I felt that this was an obvious manufacturing issue and wouldn't it be nice if Hitachi made good on it and sent me a new chuck. Less than 20 min later I received a response. Not gonna happen. They gave me a bit of a run around about taking the drill to a service center with the original receipt and it MIGHT be covered IF the purchase was less than 5 years ago.

Oh well. I tried.

My response was three fold:

1. The cost of the chuck alone is more than the entire drill can be purchased for on Amazon.So I would not purchase the chuck, but rather purchase a new drill from another manufacturer
  2. Take into consideration Hitachi's response when considering power tool purchases in the future
  3. Relay my experience to those on the woodworking forums in which I participate.

So, here are the pics, you decide. I think they could have been a bit more forthcoming. Even if they could not supply the chuck the least they could have done was be a bit more understanding and less cold in their response.

IMG_0741.jpgIMG_0743.jpgIMG_0744.jpgIMG_0745.jpg

Rennie, couldn't you grind that away using a Dremel tool with a small stone ? it might take some time, but at least you might be able to get some use from it. I agree that it is a factory defect and they should stand behind it regardless of age. they deserve to be ripped over something like that.

I own several Hitachi handheld power tools, but seeing that kind of customer "service" will make me think twice before buying any more. Even if the CS rep was powerless to solve your problem for you, he/she could have done more to acknowledge that you had a defective part.

You should be able to do a diy fix on that chuck, just open it wide and usually there is a screw inside holding it on to replace it with another from a like sized drill. Bet someone on here has a worn out drill with a good chuck a round...as matter of fact I may...will take a look to see if I still have it.

It was a poor move on their part to not work with you on a repair solution.

Last edited:
So, Rennie....is the drill over 5 years old? (You say you bought it a "few" years ago.) If it's not, can you come up with the receipt? If not, did you pay with credit card and can find the date? Maybe Lowes could reproduce the receipt with the date? If you can get it taken care of under warranty it might be worth the effort. If not, I'd make an attempt to pull it apart and grind/file that ridge off. That in itself may not be easy, but again to get a working drill might be worth it. I've got two Hitachi tools, a 10" SCMS and the free 2.25 hp router that came with it as a rebate. Both have supplied me with great experiences. Jim.

So, Rennie....is the drill over 5 years old? (You say you bought it a "few" years ago.) If it's not, can you come up with the receipt? If not, did you pay with credit card and can find the date? Maybe Lowes could reproduce the receipt with the date? If you can get it taken care of under warranty it might be worth the effort. If not, I'd make an attempt to pull it apart and grind/file that ridge off. That in itself may not be easy, but again to get a working drill might be worth it. I've got two Hitachi tools, a 10" SCMS and the free 2.25 hp router that came with it as a rebate. Both have supplied me with great experiences. Jim.

Ditto what Jim said I have both the 12" SCMS & Router promo same results.

Even though I keep all my receipts, Lowe's now has a free 'My Lowe's' card that I present for all purchases. It remembers what you bought. I think the on line record of your purchase would get you a replacement from Lowe's....but not five years later.

I purchased it in early 2009 for a job that required about 100 pocket holes. My battery drills are just too slow. I have been unable to find the original receipt, and the credit card statement only gives $$ and no description of the items purchased. I've asked Hitachi to verify via email that the drill is not more than 5 years old based on the serial number. If they can do this it might be enough to get the local service center to replace the chuck.

Yes, I could likely effect the repair myself, but if I'm a little off the bit will not center properly in the jaws and I'm back where I started.

I think what aggravates me the most is that it is such and obvious manufacturing defect that there should be no question that it should be repaired regardless of my ability to prove when it was purchased. If it was anything that could have been caused by me or even remotely subjective it would be a different story. I know many of you have Hitachi products and I will not argue with the reputation - they are good performers. It is not the tool I take exception to, it is the level of service afforded by this specific individual.

All that being said, it may be a moot point. I found out yesterday that Kreg now makes a step bit for my pocket hole jig with a 1/4" hex drive. This will fit in the 1/4" chuck on my Milwaukee hole shooter. The only reason I ever bought the Hitachi was for the 3/8" chuck.

Update

I got an email this morning from the tech support guy - he verified that my drill was manufactured in October of 2008, within the 5 year window. I will take his email with me to the service center along with his note within that should there be any problems that they should contact him

This might work out after all, but I think it should not have been me that offered the solution.

...This might work out after all, but I think it should not have been me that offered the solution.

Good to hear. :thumb:

good%20luck%20we're%20all%20counting%20on%20you%20annotated.jpg

Well, that was a waste.

I took the email and drill to the local service center and the first thing he told me before I could get a full sentence out was that chucks are not a warranty item!

WHAT?:eek::eek::eek:

Do you think the guy at Hitachi MIGHT have mentioned that following the first email?

GOOD GRIEF!:doh::doh:

Sorry guys, I know they can be a good product, but Hitachi comes of my list of possible manufactures for future tool purchases.

I took the email and drill to the local service center and the first thing he told me before I could get a full sentence out was that chucks are not a warranty item!

WHAT?:eek::eek::eek:

Do you think the guy at Hitachi MIGHT have mentioned that following the first email?

GOOD GRIEF!:doh::doh:

Sorry guys, I know they can be a good product, but Hitachi comes of my list of possible manufactures for future tool purchases.

Hey Rennie ya got contact info if so get it to me and I let them know what costumer service like that will do to there bottom line. I have several of there tools but NO MORE

Hey Rennie ya got contact info if so get it to me and I let them know what costumer service like that will do to there bottom line. I have several of there tools but NO MORE

Thanks Jay, but I don't want to do anything rash just yet. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they might give the OK to the service center. I should know in a few weeks.

Hi,

I think I still have a NEW keyless 3/8 chuck. If you don't get satisfaction PM me. It is yours for free.

Enjoy,

JimB

ps Hitachi bought the farm as far as I am concerned. There are too many good companies out there so why should I take a chance!

How did you ever manage to use the chuck? Because it could not be centered I would think that the bit would dance all around.

Last edited:
I realize that Hitachi didn't make the chuck but someone did & their inspection process failed & at Hitachi someone in the factory picked it up & zombi like without looking at it screwed it on the motor & ran the locking screw home & then their inspector didn't do a good job either. Rennie would have been better off to have taken it back within a short period of time with the receipt & gotten a replacement. A lot of errors have occurred to make this problem. I hope all of you realize that the same thing could happen with any other brand. Better to say I'm going to stick with certain brands of tools within these set price ranges than to say well so & so just shot themselves in the foot because of this or that & because of the internet woodworking community magnified & broadcast it decisions have been made . Stretched over a period of years you could find you have a big list of vendors you won't purchase from & a very short list of vendors that you will purchase from.

I am not pointing the finger at anyone in particular so please don't think I'm stomping on your toes in particular.

Just my 2 1/2 cents worth & you can spend the 1/2 cent anywhere you want.

Last edited:
Rennie, have you tried calling Lowes to see if they can pull a copy of the receipt off the computer since you know the date? Might be another avenue, especially if the service center won't or can't use the info from Hitachi by the serial # showing it was manufactured less than 5 years ago. Just thought I'd ask. Jim.

Rennie, have you tried calling Lowes to see if they can pull a copy of the receipt off the computer since you know the date? Might be another avenue, especially if the service center won't or can't use the info from Hitachi by the serial # showing it was manufactured less than 5 years ago. Just thought I'd ask. Jim.
Since they have verified via the serial number that the drill is less than 5 years old the receipt issue has been rendered moot. Hitachi has verified that the drill is still under warranty. The issue now is that the local service center is telling me that the chuck in not under the warranty. What's upsetting is that, in a dozen emails, the factory rep NEVER mentioned this. The entire thing would have been dropped on the first contact if he had disclosed this little factoid.

I realize that Hitachi didn't make the chuck but someone did & their inspection process failed & at Hitachi someone in the factory picked it up & zombi like without looking at it screwed it on the motor & ran the locking screw home & then their inspector didn't do a good job either. Rennie would have been better off to have taken it back within a short period of time with the receipt & gotten a replacement. A lot of errors have occurred to make this problem. I hope all of you realize that the same thing could happen with any other brand. Better to say I'm going to stick with certain brands of tools within these set price ranges than to say well so & so just shot themselves in the foot because of this or that & because of the internet woodworking community magnified & broadcast it decisions have been made . Stretched over a period of years you could find you have a big list of vendors you won't purchase from & a very short list of vendors that you will purchase from.

I am not pointing the finger at anyone in particular so please don't think I'm stomping on your toes in particular.

Just my 2 1/2 cents worth & you can spend the 1/2 cent anywhere you want.

Bart, no feelings hurt here. Please note that the title of the thread is "SOMEWHAT disappointed in Hitachi", partially because I failed to make the issue known in a timely manner - 100% my fault. I knew there was a problem the first time I used it, but failed to act on it. I don't, and never did, intend to say their tools are no good, just that the factory rep was giving me a bit of a run-a-round. I have what I feel is an obvious manufacturers defect and failure of their quality control. That's all. I felt, and still feel, that something as obvious as this is a total no-brainer. In stead of the run-a-round I got I fully expected to hear, "Wow, that is an obvious defect. Please give me your address and I'll get a replacement out to you right away."

For contrast, I had a problem with a fence on a Delta jointer a while back. When I called I explained the issue and was promised a replacement right away - an entire fence! Not only that, when 2 weeks had passed I called back to say it has not arrived, was apologized to, and was again promised it would come soon. Within a week I had THREE new fences delivered. They were a bit slow, but came through in the end.

For contrast, I had a problem with a fence on a Delta jointer a while back. When I called I explained the issue and was promised a replacement right away - an entire fence! Not only that, when 2 weeks had passed I called back to say it has not arrived, was apologized to, and was again promised it would come soon. Within a week I had THREE new fences delivered. They were a bit slow, but came through in the end.

I called delta recently with my dust collector problem, and I know I posted their response here, but the service rep told me since they dont make the motors he couldnt answer my question, even though it was their product. (and most of the parts dealers I spoke with for the capacitor wished me good luck with delta)