One-Day Build - Drill Press Table

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
I'm still working on that batch or urns, but it's not just building them that is taking my time. As I approach each step I ask myself, "Self (that's what I call myself), if you had to build fifty of these one day, what jig, accessory, procedure, would you use to make the process faster and more consistent?" Well, I stalled last week faced with drilling a lot more holes. I reflected on the previous weeks drilling and punching of square holes, and decided that a few makeshift stops and clamps were not the best choice on the drill press.

I've always liked the price on the Woodpecker table. It seemed to offer a lot more than some others for about the same price. In addition, if you purchased all the accessories separately, it's hard to build it for much less. So, off to Woodcraft to spend some money!

The table, as manufactured, will not fit my drill press, you need an adapter plate (3/4" plywood). Remembering some more elaborate tables I've seen here, I decided I could always used more drawer space. This is the result of about 8 hours work - yes, I'm a bit slow. Nice thing about it is that it is made entirely of scrap bits I had lying around. Total cost (excluding the table) $2.30 for some tapered hex head bolts.

(I HAD to make this shop project look better than the last one so's not to be stung by Vaughn's review again. :eek::rofl::rofl:)
IMG_0752.jpgIMG_0754.jpgIMG_0753.jpg

Rennie, that looks nice.:thumb: I've had my eye on a woodpecker table for awhile now too. What's the top made from? What DP do you have? I have a delta 17-950L. I really like the drawers to keep the various DP sundries.

I've had the old style Woodpecker table for years and its been great. Those drawer add-ons are sweet.

As I approach each step I ask myself, "Self (that's what I call myself), if you had to build fifty of these one day, what jig, accessory, procedure, would you use to make the process faster and more consistent?"

Some project or part of a project just has to wait sometimes while you build a jig that will help you ever after. That's how my collection started, you do something for the 2nd, 3rd or 4th time and you stop and say "now hold on a a minute . . . " and a jig or fixture is born.

Rennie, that looks nice.:thumb: I've had my eye on a woodpecker table for awhile now too. What's the top made from? What DP do you have? I have a delta 17-950L. I really like the drawers to keep the various DP sundries.

The top is made from 1 inch thick MDF. It has the microdot laminate on top and bottom. I have the Rikon drillpress. The only thing I need now is a smaller chuck. The Rikon Chuck will not hold anything smaller than 1/4 inch.

The top is made from 1 inch thick MDF. It has the microdot laminate on top and bottom. I have the Rikon drillpress. The only thing I need now is a smaller chuck. The Rikon Chuck will not hold anything smaller than 1/4 inch.

I've been running one of these or something like it for years. Grizzly and others also offer a selection from inexpensive through . . . WOW!

Very nicely done Rennie.
Question though. Does the drawer unit lift the table enough to give you full access to the elevation crank? The table I made a couple years ago is totally in the way when raising/lowering the table so, I made it adjustable front to rear so I can slide it out of the way. That works but, it creates a hassle almost every time the drill press is called to duty.

Rennie

Great looking DP table should serve you well.

Mine doesn't look so good by comparison.

But then I don't confine my drilling to a small spot on the table either. I have the same chuck problem you do so I got another drill press.

Attachments

• RADP.jpg
    RADP.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 28
  • DuroDrillPress003.jpg
    DuroDrillPress003.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 28
Rennie, did you take any photos on how you mounted this to the table top? Is it clamped or bolted on? That is a great looking top. The drawers add the much needed funtion to one of these. I've been gathering material to do one of these. Thanks for sharing.

I was so inspired by Rennies version I decided to copy it. Mines not nearly as nice, but it should be serviceable.

Did a couple of other things too. I made a new 'low rider' set of casters for it and added a holder for the other 2 tables I have for mine.

I used to have the DP on a mobile base that raised it up way too high. So I pulled it off and redid it in the 'low rider mode'. I like it much better.

The holder is just a piece of ply with a couple of holes in it, and mounted with a little plywood angle bracket.

For the table I ordered the same table as Rennie and made a pretty similar cabinet for it.

When I bought a cross slide vise for it, I ordered an extra vise adapter for it. I used that to mount the box on.

I used counter sunk machine bolts to hold the box to the adapter, and the table to to the box. Had to redo it once, as originally I had the box too close to the crank.

My old table was something I had cobbled together, and it was 'ok', but this is much, much nicer....

FWW-8742.jpg

Last edited:
Rennie

Great looking DP table should serve you well... I have the same chuck problem you do so I got another drill press.
I actually had the second drill press also, but sold it for more than I paid for the chuck! I should have done that a long time ago!:D

Rennie, did you take any photos on how you mounted this to the table top? Is it clamped or bolted on? That is a great looking top. The drawers add the much needed function to one of these. I've been gathering material to do one of these. Thanks for sharing.
Sorry Tom, no photos, but simple installation. The drawers attach with bolts. I purchased 1" hex key head bolts with counter sink heads and used them with the t-nuts that came with the table to fasten them to the DP table. The drawer box top extends 1" beyond the sides of the box and I drilled and screwed up into the new table to attach it.

I was so inspired by Rennies version I decided to copy it. Mines not nearly as nice, but it should be serviceable.

Did a couple of other things too. I made a new 'low rider' set of casters for it and added a holder for the other 2 tables I have for mine.

I used to have the DP on a mobile base that raised it up way too high. So I pulled it off and redid it in the 'low rider mode'. I like it much better.

The holder is just a piece of ply with a couple of holes in it, and mounted with a little plywood angle bracket.

For the table I ordered the same table as Rennie and made a pretty similar cabinet for it.

When I bought a cross slide vise for it, I ordered an extra vise adapter for it. I used that to mount the box on.

I used counter sunk machine bolts to hold the box to the adapter, and the table to to the box. Had to redo it once, as originally I had the box too close to the crank.

My old table was something I had cobbled together, and it was 'ok', but this is much, much nicer....

View attachment 73673
Nicely done and every bit as nice as mine!

I have a mobile base as well, but it does not raise the DP too high. However, it's not as stable as your low rider seems to be.

Very nice Rennie and Brent. :thumb: I've got a homemade version of the Woodpeckers table...I might just have to add drawers to mine. (Since that's apparently what all the cool kids are doing these days.) :D