Winged Maple Bowl

Nate Davey

I picked this little burl up for $20 at our local flea market up here in East Mountain. The form was inspired by Bill Grumbine. Form is 12" long, 8" wide and 2.5" tall. Finish is Dr Woodshop Walnut Oil. Comments and criticism appreciated.
Winged Maple Burl Top.jpgWinged Maple Burl.jpg

Last edited:
Sharp Nate!!! M&M holder from a flea market?? Wow! As a thought...what about under cutting the rim? Less M&M's so I don't know. Beautiful chunk of wood...Brother Bill is a good guy to gain inspiration from!

Another nice one, Nate. :thumb: Any idea where your wood guy is finding the maple? Is it from around here?

That's a fun piece. I like it. When I get better I will try something like that---no, not a copy...

Most turners don't get very worried about others copying (or attempting to copy) their work. That's because it's rare indeed for someone to accurately copy another turner's piece. Heck, most guys I know have a hard enough time copying their own pieces. :D And on a piece like this with a unique blank to start with, nobody would be able to make a decent duplicate.

So we're not copying a piece, we're being inspired by a piece. ;) And most of us like it when someone else is inspired by our own work. :thumb:

Vaughn, he travels pretty far to get some of his woods, he said he had a huge BLM burl he wanted me to look at. The gent will be up at the flea market next weekend with some wood for me. It's on NM14 up in Cedar Crest. I really believe in giving attribution to some one who's piece I'm "copying", even if it's not even close.

Last edited: