Mortising at an angle.

Hi Guys.

I need to mortise a slot and glue with loose tenons two pieces that are going to be glued at an angle ( see cross view sketch), and I'd like any hint about how to do it and how to clamp them so that I get a tight joint.

Mortising the slot I think I would fix the piece on my vise so that the angled surface would be horizontal checking it with a level and route it off. (Any other better system will be appreciated)

But gluing and clamping I can't think about a suitable way to exert pressure on the right direction.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

loosetenon.jpg

toni if i had to do this i would make a angled piece to help hold the piece in the vice with sandpaper on it for the mortising, then for clamping use 2 similar pieces on each side and the clamp them to the parent piece which would give you a pull point to draw your joint tight.

The fancy slot mortisers (fancier than mine) tilt the table the 5 degrees (or whatever). The poor person's solution is to put a 5 degree sloped piece between the mortising table and the work piece. Sandpaper on it, as Larry suggests, makes it work even better.

This problem is very common in making chairs (the seat is narrower at the back than at the front, etc.). The common technique to glue those angled pieces is to clamp a larger assembly at once - the entire chair seat, for example.

But gluing and clamping I can't think about a suitable way to exert pressure on the right direction.

Here's a helper for the glue up: http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?28979-Shop-Made-Miter-Clamping-Helpers

Here's an idea for routing your mortise. Not a perfect drawing but, you get the idea. The wedges are just for allowing you to clamp to the piece to be mortised. They can be double-stick taped or just grabbed with friction from clamping the jig on . . .

Toni-1.jpgToni-2.jpgToni-3.jpgToni-4.jpgToni-5.jpgToni-6.JPG

Last edited:
Charlie, I'm sorry but I only have a hand held router so I think I'll have to go for the poor person solution; Larry thanks a lot for your hints and explanation. Glenn your drawings make it very clear, and at the same time they will give me repetitivenes which is something I was also needing. Thanks a lot for taking the time to draw them.