Need a simple project

John Moore

I have some friends that will be having their first child this spring. I would like to make them something that they would remember and pass along. So I am looking for some simple ideas for a little gift for brand new parents. Please post your ideas or pictures of something that you have made that I could use.

Thanks

john check out tom niemi's thread on his cradle he made, after the child is to old for it it can be used for her dolls. he has plans that i am sure he will let you have to make it..

Years ago, when my daughter was just a couple years, or so old, (35 years ago), I made a "Giraffe" clothes hanger that really was a hit. I saved it for when she would have her own family. It's taken a while as she has finally decided to get more serious about settling down with a husband (she's been a long time career gal). So, given that she decides to marry this guy & have her own, I'll finally be able to clear a spot from storage. I'll have to clean it up & perhaps freshen the paint job.

By the standards of the pros on this forum, it is really raw entry level. As I recall I basically had just had a drill, jig saw, & a table saw at the time. I'm sure you can improve upon the concept to bring it up to your standards.

Attachments

• P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 49
  • P1010002.jpg
    P1010002.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 29
Making things for children is opening Pandora's box since the government decided to protect kids from lead paint on Chinese cribs. See www.plesums.com/wood/bedroom/kids.html for my understanding of the unclear rules. If it is a gift among friends, probably no issue, but beware.

I have given new parents a "memory box" - see www.plesums.com/wood/other/membox.html - sometimes with quilted or embroidered gifts inside from my wife.

I build my Grandson a little music thingy when he was born. Winnie the Pooh rotates and it plays the Pooh song. Puts the baby to sleep and mom and dad go around with the Pooh song going through their head all day! It was a lot of fun to build. I got the plans from a Gentleman on this forum, Charles Hans, and he helped me by answering any questions I had. I probably still have the plans, if you are interested I will look for them.

Attachments

• IMG_0261 sm.jpg
    IMG_0261 sm.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I build my Grandson a little music thingy when he was born. Winnie the Pooh rotates and it plays the Pooh song.

Paul, that is an absolutely delightful, thoughtful gift. Your grandson will be remembering you when he has grandchildren and is looking for something to pass along.

If you scrounge up the plans, please post them. I'll bet my new granddaughter will love one from her grandpa!

Years ago, when my daughter was just a couple years, or so old, (35 years ago), I made a "Giraffe" clothes hanger that really was a hit. I saved it for when she would have her own family. It's taken a while as she has finally decided to get more serious about settling down with a husband (she's been a long time career gal). So, given that she decides to marry this guy & have her own, I'll finally be able to clear a spot from storage. I'll have to clean it up & perhaps freshen the paint job.

By the standards of the pros on this forum, it is really raw entry level. As I recall I basically had just had a drill, jig saw, & a table saw at the time. I'm sure you can improve upon the concept to bring it up to your standards.

I think that is pretty cool. It would be a real hit with my grandkids.

I had to add another simple project I was reminded of last weekend. I went to visit my grandson and took this picture. The horse is one my father built for me when I was around one years old, which makes it pretty close to 70 years old. This old steed has been ridden buy all young cousins, nieces, nephews, their children and my grandchildren through three generations. I don't have plans for it but is is a simple build, I'm sure. I did see plans for one almost identical at the You-Bilt (spelled that way I'm pretty sure) several years ago. I'll have to check it out and see if they still exist.

P.S. I found it. This is very close to the horse my dad built me. (oh it was U-Bild)
http://www.u-bild.com/projects-childrens/056.htm

Attachments

• IMG_3919  ss.JPG
    IMG_3919 ss.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited: