Jointer/Planer Blade Sharpening Tool

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
My jointer was actually sounding pretty 'rough' last time I used it and was leaving little 'scallops' on the board I was trying to run through it.

I figured i could either buy new blades, send these in for sharpening, and then I ran across this sharpening jig.

I ordered the 12" model. The company claims it can be used to sharpen disposable planer blades. I'm not sure how many times I'd try to sharpen the disposables, but even being able to extend the use of them one time would be nice, and would pay for the jig in a few uses.

So I tried it out on my jointer blades today and I have to admit it worked pretty well.

I also bought a set of adhesive sandpaper in 6 grits from 180 - 400. I had a few plates of glass laying around so I used 2 of those to adhere the paper to. I should be able to get several sharpenings out of one set of paper.

So the process was pretty simple. Put 2 of the blads in the jig, and run it back and forth for 10 strokes. Swap out one of the blades, do 10 more strokes, then go up to the next grit, repeat.

It took out some nicks I had in the blades with a few extra strokes on the 180. After I finished sharpening them, I ran the back of the blades across the 400 grit a couple of strokes.

Popped them back in the jointer and things were working quite well!

My only problem with the jointer now is the wheel to raise the infeed table is awfully stiff. I need to somehow wash all the dust and lubrication off the operating screw and put some dry lube on it. But that can wait another day.

You could probably make one of these your self pretty easy out of a nice piece of hardwood and some set screws, but this one is quite nicely made with brass channels.

All in all, I give it 2 thumbs up!

FWW-8747.jpgFWW-8748.jpg

A guy called Dizzy on another site, who has since passed, made those things up over ten years ago, I just made one on my table saw, works great, I use mine to touch up my thickness planer blades, they are not the disposable type. I works great, not as good as a fresh sharpening, but darn close. :thumb:

Pics of his original jig.

dizzys_jig_1.JPGdizzys_jig_2.JPGdizzys_jig_3.JPGdizzys_jig_4.JPGdizzys_jig_5.JPGdizzys_jig_6.JPGdizzys_jig_7.JPGdizzys_jig_8.JPG