Campaign Desk "Reproduction"

Jim DeLaney

Staff member
I've been working on this 'reproduction' of an 18th Century English Campaign Desk for quite a while - sorta working in 'fits and spurts,' then letting it sit for awhile...

Anyway, it's somewhat modernized because I wasn't true to size on it. The original was about an inch narrower and an inch shorter because they used different paper sizes back then, and I wanted this one to accommodate modern 8½ X 11" paper, and #10 envelopes.

The wood is cherry - resawn from one piece of 16/4 X 6" X 18". The writing surface is ¼" thick, bookmatched from two slices. Box bottom and tray panels are about 1/8" thick, and bookmatched, too. The box sides are ½" thick.

Finish is a coat of Sealcoat, followed by eight or nine coates of Target EM6000 waterborne lacquer, rubbed to a matte finish.

DSCN0946 (Custom).JPGDSCN0947 (Custom).JPGDSCN0948 (Custom).JPGDSCN0949 (Custom).JPGDSCN0950 (Custom).JPGDSCN0951 (Custom).JPG

I'll probably enter this piece in the local County Fair this coming Fall.

Very nice Jim. I couldn't tell there was any finish on it...I guess that's tribute to the EM6000 and your hand rubbing. I'm guessing it will age to that nice cherry color with a little sun exposure?

Jim can you talk a bit about how you made it. I see the box joints so did you make this as a single box then cut on table saw to split off the lid and then do the next layer on the bandsaw etc. Or piece by piece.

Very nice piece and idea, would really look good with some kind of a US symbol or image engraved on the top. Thinking something like the "Great Seal of the US" or the likes. Very nice piece and idea. Any idea of its weight.

Jim can you talk a bit about how you made it. I see the box joints so did you make this as a single box then cut on table saw to split off the lid and then do the next layer on the bandsaw etc. Or piece by piece.

Rob,
I cut the sides to size, then DF taped them together and made the cutout for the paper holding tray. After that, I cut the box joints and assembled the main box and the end & sides of the tray. The writing surface is a ¼" thick panel, surrounded by a ½" frame that is mortised and tenon joined at the corners.

...would really look good with some kind of a US symbol or image engraved on the top. Thinking something like the "Great Seal of the US" or the likes. Very nice piece and idea. Any idea of its weight.

Well, a U.S. insignia wouldn't be appropriate, since the origin of the piece was British. Maybe a Union Jack? :huh:

BTW, the original piece is in the Newport News Maritime Museum in Virginia. A very helpful curator there provided me with extra pictures, dimensions, and other information to help me with the build. I intend to take it with me next time I go there, to show her the results of her efforts.

Cool design, nice execution. Those old campaign desks were marvels of efficiency.

I've seen some pictures of them that had a stand, did this style ever have one or was it intended as a bed/table top unit only?

...you been watchng alan B to much sliceing and dicing to get every lick of wood used in project:)

Actually, a lot of the stuff I make uses thinner-than-standard pieces, and I don't want to run thick stuff thru the planer. That just wastes too much! So, I resaw.

The Laguna does a great job of resawing, and with the right blade, leaves a very smooth finish. All the wood usually needs after sawing is a couple passes thru the Performax. I generally keep a blue 'zirconia' 120 grit paper on it, and the resultant piece only needs a bit of hand (or ROS) sanding after that.

I can usually get three quarter-inch pieces from a rough 4/4 board, with (maybe) an eighth or three-thirty-secondths piece left over. Very little goes to waste that way.