New to me compressor - IT'S ALIVE!

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I found a listing on CL yesterday for this. I called the guy, and after a short conversation he was willing to hold it until I could come today to get it.
2013-02-13 19.04.01.jpg2013-02-13 21.39.08.jpg

He said the motor was shot but didn't elaborate much even when I asked him for details, but said the tank and pump were in good working condition. He said the motor started smoking and he disconnected it as he doesn't like messing with electrical. Well, this was my first clue, seemed the motor was drawing a bit too much current judging from the terminals and insulation that were melted. So either a wrong cap or shorted windings was my suspicion.
2013-02-13 19.04.55.jpg

I spent some time testing the windings and caps, but got tired of reaching up and decided I would just remove the motor to work on over at the bench.

I probably should have started here and saved myself a little time. After removing the belt this is what I found...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul4RAPpGCt0

:doh: I've got a motor on the shelf, but it's a little smaller, so will do some CL searching tomorrow to see what I can come up with.

Also I'm not sure of the exact model, seems the manufacturer plate was either cleaned with something that took of the info or it was never printed.
2013-02-13 19.14.22.jpg

I'll be replacing the pressure switch as well, it was frozen/melted to the off position.

Last edited:
I'm guessing you got a good deal on it? Could be a good score? Surely Campbell Hausfield would have the motor specs online, right?

Well, It seemed like a good deal (paid $225, newer ones of the same specs are about $700 new), but then when you price motors and consider the age it's probably not as good as deal as I thought. However, I've got it now, so will make it work. I've got a few resources for finding a motor, so will check around and see what I can come up with.

The motor has it's label and specs, just nothing on the model of the CH Compressor and tank so I can easily look up the parts, I've already found them via the casting and individual part numbers though.

Re: New to me compressor

This is something on my tools to buy list. Want a nice large compresssor so i never have to look back for air again. :)
I dont think u got a bad deal, consider this, you essentially bought a pump and tank now you get to at least choose the motor quality.
I would definitely put some coin into the motor considering load and duty cycle. Then i think u will have a decent compressor.
Kinda like buying a computing device minus the crappy harddrive and putting in an SSD. :)

Also hey good way to get purchases like this approved by the cfo.

I once had the task of purchasing a printer used to customize plastic chip card phone cards. We were buying this unit from Japan. Anyhow price exceeded CEO's signing authority without going to the whole board for approval. Board also had members we considered non friendlys. So CEO says bring the PO to me to sign as spare parts. lol. The Japs had a tough time understanding what i wanted but hey customer is always right so they obliged. Unit was shipped intact but confused the heck out of anyone in the paper chain like customs officials. :)
Where there is a will there is a way. :)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

My guess is someone left it plugged in and a hose let go and the motor ran way past it's duty cycle...

Last edited:
I've been searching CL, but only finding ones with 1800 rpm's and I'll need a 3450 rpm. I suspect that the 1.5 hp was large enough, but either had an over tightened belt or ran a lot to wear the bearing the way that it did, which led to it's demise. Looks like the local motor shop is wanting about $200 for a rebuilt 1.5 hp. I'm thinking I may go with a 2hp or 3hp though @ 3450 rpms. Surplus Center looks to have each for $150 - $170 (including shipping). I'm going to finish removing the plastic to check the pump specs first and see if I need to do anything with it before making any decisions.

Darren, I had exactly the opposite problem a few yrs ago when I was looking for a new motor for one of my lathes. Found all kinds of 3450rpm motors for nothing, but finally had to get a 1750rpm from Surplus Center and it's worked great for about 5yrs so far.

Darren, I had exactly the opposite problem a few yrs ago when I was looking for a new motor for one of my lathes. Found all kinds of 3450rpm motors for nothing, but finally had to get a 1750rpm from Surplus Center and it's worked great for about 5yrs so far.

That's good to hear, I hadn't bought from them before, so was wondering how they were to deal with. Will probably order one tonight after I take a look at the pump a little closer to make sure that the motor that is on there was the right size in the first place. Really am considering that 3 hp over the 2hp for no more than the price is. If I ever had to replace the pump, would probably go larger anyway, so might as well size for the future.

The company I retired from has done business with Surplus Center for years and never had a problem. I also have bought from them personally, they are only 30 miles away. Walk in service is usually 10 min. or less. The warehouse is huge but they run electric carts around and have some darn good inventory control.

Looks like a good score from here, even including the cost of a new motor.

And add me to the list of happy Surplus Center customers. :thumb:

Odds are long that you already know this.. but make sure its a compressor duty motor as well (although "Farm Duty" would likely be ok as well).

Yup! :thumb: They have it listed as a compressor duty anyway. :wave:

The company I retired from has done business with Surplus Center for years and never had a problem. I also have bought from them personally, they are only 30 miles away. Walk in service is usually 10 min. or less. The warehouse is huge but they run electric carts around and have some darn good inventory control.

I hadn't looked at their location, didn't realize they were so close to me too.

Thanks again for the feedback guys. :wave:

Well, I've got a 3hp compressor motor on order and also a new pressure switch big enough to support the extra draw of the motor. I took the rest of the plastic off and will do some cleaning to get it ready to come alive again. Need to get a regulator for it as well, so may take a trip over to HF tomorrow to see what I can come up with. May have to look at getting a few new toys to use with it as well.

Check eBay for regulators...I found good deals there for my main regulator and air dryer. ;)

I picked up one on sale at HF today, they had this one on sale for $19.99... http://www.harborfreight.com/12-air-line-filter-regulator-with-gauge-68281.html

Also got a set of 3 jaw pullers in various sizes and got the pulley off the old motor. I decided I'd at least pull the end cap with the bearing to see if all it needed was new bearings. Judging from the birds nest of mangled wires inside I'd say not. My suspicions about the bearing being bad enough to get the armature in to the windings was correct.

2013-02-15 16.04.34.jpg2013-02-15 16.04.44.jpg

New motor and pressure switch should be here early next week though. I'm about $450 into this compressor now, but still $300 less than a comparable new one I guess, just hope the pump works as well as it should or I'll be going into the hole on it.

Well, I probably should have stayed away from the tool section yesterday, but looks like I could have gotten a new one with almost the same specs as I'll have when it's running again for $50 more (well probably $90-$100 after taxes). :doh: Probably could have waited to find a motor on CL, but wouldn't have been much cheaper than what I paid. Oh well.

2013-02-16 12.30.59.jpg

I did get the tank cleaned up today. I noticed the tube going to the tank from the compressor was loose on the tank side. Looks like it may have blew off at one point, the compression ring was completely gone off on one end of the copper line, they had siliconed it in. :dunno:. Won't be a big deal to fix though, just need to cut off the area where the old ring was and add another and bend the line enough to make up for the shortened line. Also pulled off the check valve and cleaned out the caked up oil/dust from the inside. Motor and switch should ship out tomorrow, hopefully I'll be up and running by the end of the week.

Well, I'm late to the party on this one, but I have that CH model. I bought it about eight years ago from a member of our woodworking club in Florida when he was consolidating two shops. Got it for $200 in good running order. The only thing I changed was to drain the pump oil and replace it with synthetic, which made it a little quieter.

Good luck on the HF regulator. I bought an HF regulator/filter package a couple of years ago to drop the pressure on most of my lines at the output of the compressor tank and never could get them sealed well enough not to leak. Replaced them with Kobalt and don't have any leaks.

Well, I'm late to the party on this one, but I have that CH model. I bought it about eight years ago from a member of our woodworking club in Florida when he was consolidating two shops. Got it for $200 in good running order. The only thing I changed was to drain the pump oil and replace it with synthetic, which made it a little quieter.

Good luck on the HF regulator. I bought an HF regulator/filter package a couple of years ago to drop the pressure on most of my lines at the output of the compressor tank and never could get them sealed well enough not to leak. Replaced them with Kobalt and don't have any leaks.

Where did you find the synthetic at? I looked at a couple of places to day, but only saw the conventional oil. Also, thanks for the heads up on the HF regulator, will hold on to the receipt if I experience the same it will go back.

Tonight I cut about 1/2" off the feed tube and installed a new compression ring. I also installed a shut off and plugged all the holes on the tank to see how the pump was working. Found that the check valve on top of the tank was leaking, so took it back apart to clean it. Found a piece of the silicon caulk they used on the feed tube had fallen down and was holding the little plunger on the check valve open. I got it out and did a good cleaning with some carb cleaner and cotton swab and it's working like new again.