Arch rule

larry merlau

well some time back i asked for the formula to make them and got some info that worked well and i still thought i could come up with something that didnt use brain power, that is sometimes in low supply here.. so i set out to find something without memory like wood has, well the plastic i had wasnt long enough and i think would have worked as well providing you dont go to thick on it, i had some 1/8" but not long enough so i dug up this from the local hardware, its 1/16th aluminum flat stock. just drill two holes one on each end and insert heavy cord to use for the knot end to adjust to arch your after. it has worked fine for the stuff i was after at the time.. and if i could get a longer one i would to make the larger archs. and at 4.00 dollars its pretty cheap and no brain power needed just align with your piece trace and you ready for the band saw:)
arch rule 001.jpgarch rule 002.jpgarch rule 003.jpgarch rule 004.jpgarch rule 005.jpgarch rule 006.jpg

That will work, but over time will take a set to bend to near the same setting every time. It's a molecular thing. However, if you alternate the side you are bending every time you use it, you will keep it in a flux state so the metal doesn't remember where it was the last time. That is why Polycarbonate works so much better. Eventually the metal will wear out for holding a true arc, but we all wear out eventually don't we? Basically, what I am saying is plastic has a memory and remembers it was flat and naturally wants to return to that state. Metal will take the shape you give it and remain close to that shape until you change it.

Last edited:
Great idea Larry. And I need one of these this weekend. I think I have something that will work in the shop already. :thumb:

That will work, but over time will take a set to bend to near the same setting every time. It's a molecular thing. However, if you alternate the side you are bending every time you use it, you will keep it in a flux state so the metal doesn't remember where it was the last time. That is why Polycarbonate works so much better. Eventually the metal will wear out for holding a true arc, but we all wear out eventually don't we? Basically, what I am saying is plastic has a memory and remembers it was flat and naturally wants to return to that state. Metal will take the shape you give it and remain close to that shape until you change it.

What if you store it flat and only bend it when you need it?

Nice little solution Larry, hadn't seen one using aluminum before. Wood had a fairing stick tip in a magazine a few years back with a piece on it to adjust the cord without tying a knot each time.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-plans/jigs/fairing-stick/

went to thew link and that would work but that means i need more string:) i tried to watch the video and it wanted me to sign up to see them:( but i could watch a spindle being turned for free,, the whole world is trying to get me to do the spinny stuff:)

I don't find tying the knot to be that onerous personally that it would be worth the more complicated setup like wood describes :D

I have a couple of small pieces of thin plywood I use for small curves and on the adjustable end I just have a slot cut that the string fits in. When adjusting I can take a bend over the side that I can hold with my thumb against the stick and adjust a little at a time then just take two wraps and finish with a half hitch. This is only on a small (~12 and ~18") curve sticks though so perhaps the tension on a longer one would be sufficient to make it worth while (in addition the ability to adjust from the middle maybe? Not sure have to think about that one).

Lots of good ideas/info in this thread!

Larry I think you would find it easier to adjust with a smaller/lighter string. I'll try to remember to take some picks of the knots I use when I get home, they aren't complicated but make it easy to adjust with one hand while the other hand is positioning and then hold and tie off.