A Limbert-Style Side Table

Dave Richards

Shortly before Christmas my brother asked me for ideas for a small, table to go between a couple of Morris chairs in his living room. I took Gregory Paolini's Limbert-style coffee table and made a few easy modifications to make a matching side table (on the right, below)

Here's an elevation view of the two tables together.

And here's the finished table.

And a detail image:

And to give some scale to the piece, he parked his Porsche on it. :)

I'm pretty proud of my brother's skill and workmanship. Not bad for a machinist anyway. :D

Nice design, not bad for a machinest indeed.

I was going to say from the rendering I thought it would look better with the pieces under the bottom table lightened up a little, but now I see they're just cut outs cross grain and in the finished piece it balances the top nicely. Goes to show you don't ever know (unless you do..).

Hello All,
The stain on the table is a 50/50 blend of Minwax #230 - Early American and #215 Red Oak. For the top coat I tried something I have never used before, Varathane's Water Based Gloss Polyurethane Spray.
I am not very happy with the way it went on as there are a few orange peel areas that will need sanding and re-finishing when I have time. That is part of the reason that I wasn't too worried to put Porsche on it.

Very nice.

How is the lower shelf attached? Are the legs notched or is the shelf notched or both? If the shelf is notched into the legs then I definitely want to know the assembly order.

Gregory Paolini designed his so the legs and shelf both have notches that fit together. The stretchers slot together, the shelf sits on top of the stretchers and the legs go on to the stretchers with loose tenons. I kept those designs features for the taller table.