Mission End Table

Sean Wright

For my wife's birthday I built this mission end table. Like the mission vanity that I already posted, I designed this myself with the help of a CAD program. It shares many common designs with the vanity, so its design was easier than the vanity's initially was. Unlike the vanity, I did this entirely on my own, in my own shop.:D

It is made of red oak, with a material cost of about $110.

Attachments

• table1.jpg
    table1.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 47
  • table2.jpg
    table2.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 20
  • table3.jpg
    table3.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 28
  • table4.jpg
    table4.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 28
  • table5.jpg
    table5.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 50
  • table6.jpg
    table6.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 20
Mission is not usually to my taste, but that is very nice, I'm sure your wife was pleased, looks like your little bundle of joy likes it! :D

What did you finish it with?

Cheers!

Is the top banded plywood or banded solid wood? If solid wood how did you account for movement in the top?
I am working on a nightstand right now and really don't like the end grain showing but am concerned about the wood movement in the top.
Nice table by the way:thumb:

Mission is not usually to my taste, but that is very nice, I'm sure your wife was pleased, looks like your little bundle of joy likes it! :D

What did you finish it with?

Cheers!
Stuart,

I finished it using Minwax waterbased stain. Then I sealed it with Minwax water based semi gloss polyacrylic.

I have used this stain & polyacrylic on other projects, and it always has turned out well for me. Also you can't beat the clean up with water based!

Is the top banded plywood or banded solid wood? If solid wood how did you account for movement in the top?
I am working on a nightstand right now and really don't like the end grain showing but am concerned about the wood movement in the top.
Nice table by the way:thumb:
Ralph,

The top is made out of 4 pieces of oak (3/4in thick), joined with biscuits. It is attached to the legs using figure 8 "brackets" with 5/8in screws. The figure 8s will allow for movement in the wood top.

Thanks all for the compliments. :D

I really enjoyed working on this project. I wouldn't mind doing another one or two. Unfortunatly the layout of my family room in its current state doesn't have a spot for a 2nd one.

Nice work on the table. I tend to like Mission style, and this is no exception. Your apprentice seems to be getting the hang of things! :thumb: Great job!

I've heard of some good rough cut lumber dealers out your way who should be able to get RO to you at a pretty reasonable cost. I know of two in the Kendall and Hamlin region...prolly a 45 minute drive east for you.

Nice work on the table. I tend to like Mission style, and this is no exception. Your apprentice seems to be getting the hang of things! :thumb: Great job!

I've heard of some good rough cut lumber dealers out your way who should be able to get RO to you at a pretty reasonable cost. I know of two in the Kendall and Hamlin region...prolly a 45 minute drive east for you.
Scott,

If you like Mission style furnature, check out the vanity that I made to match my bed room set. I designed both of these myself. It is under the thread name "Mission Vanity - my 1st major project"

-- The "apprentice" already has a set of toy hand tools to play with ! :D