Spoon with a twist and some knots

Ryan Mooney

Staff member
The homebrew club I'm in is getting ready to do our yearly club competition. First prize is always a locally made fancy cup of some sort. I've been throwing in a spoon as a second or third prize. I decided to go fancier than usual this year and did a little bit of carving.

Roughed out, I've laid out and cut the spirals here. Didn't do this on the lathe because its oval so less advantage to turning it and I'd have had to commit to putting the extension on in the upper position :D
IMG_1468.jpg

Spirals roughed and started laying out the knots.
IMG_1471.jpg

Final spoon, that's a yardstick :D
IMG_1476.JPG

Detail of the bowl and the knot around the handle at that end.
IMG_1472.JPG

And the handle with the knot at that end. I carved the handle to look more or less like the head of a two row barley head. In order to keep it a "handle" I had to carve a full head of barley on each side and then kind of just wrapped them around to the middle. I think it works ok.
IMG_1473.JPG

OK, that's just flat-out awesome. :yes: The carved knots and barley head are a superb touch, both for the design and the execution The club just might have a new first prize this year. ;)

Oh boy man you killing me. I want to carve so badly but i am trying to be disciplined and get other things done.

That spoon is definitely worthy of first prize. There is no way some fancy cup could come close when you consider the trimmings you added and their connection to the art.

What was the wood you used? I just love the handle . Man good work aint hard to spot. Well done.:thumb:

Oh boy man you killing me. I want to carve so badly but i am trying to be disciplined and get other things done.

That spoon is definitely worthy of first prize. There is no way some fancy cup could come close when you consider the trimmings you added and their connection to the art.

What was the wood you used? I just love the handle . Man good work aint hard to spot. Well done.:thumb:

The "cup" this year is actually a very complicated troll holding a aloft a bowl of offering (picture below without the bowl which is being special made by a local glass artisan).. so I felt somewhat obligated to step up my game a smidge once I saw it :D

I used Hickory wood for this one. In retrospect it was probably not the best choice. It works really well for low detail spoons being fairly tough and polishing up nicely, but when I started doing the finer details here I got to wondering if fuzzy wuzzy wasn't a bear carved from a hickory stick.

To be fair this is more a work of stubborn obstinance than talent, I reckon I have something like 30 hours into it. Small cuts and constantly refining the shape. As I explained it to one club member who was over while I was working on it "I just take the parts that offend my the most and work on that until it looks better than the next worst thing".

Trphy1.jpg

Breaking news...There's a twist in the latest scoop that's carving out some competition in the prize division. The judges are considering putting this entry into the '2 in 1' category, being that beauty lies in the eyes of the beerholder, we'll have to wait and see if it's classified as a spoon, oar ??? :D

Beautiful piece of work Ryan!!! :thumb:

Breaking news...There's a twist in the latest scoop that's carving out some competition in the prize division. The judges are considering putting this entry into the '2 in 1' category, being that beauty lies in the eyes of the beerholder, we'll have to wait and see if it's classified as a spoon, oar ??? :D

Spooon .. oar what? That calls for a paddlin' :rofl: :rofl: