My Shop - update

Sean Wright

This is my shop, its located in my basement. These pictures are a bit old, as thing have been rearranged some, and new tools added.

I have a Craftsman table saw, with a router table in the cast iron extension. I have a Dewalt 618 fixed base router mounted in it. I also have the plunge base for the 618, that I drop the motor into for non-router table work.

At the time these pictures were taken I was using a Craftsman Router (1/4 in collet) with a fixed base in my router table. i have since upgraded to the Dewalt 618 combo for the flexability that it offers over the Craftsman (1/2 and 1/4 in collets, metal motor housing, variable speed, soft start). I had to drill the mounting holes in the cast iron wing, as it was only pre drilled for Craftsman routers. The router table fence is something I made out of an oak 2x4. It works extremely well !

I just replaced the stock fence on the table saw with a 50'' Accusquare Rip Fence from Rockler. I will post an updated picture of that.

Other big shop tools include:
6 1/8 in Ridgid joiner JP610
Delta 13 in planer-2 speed
Dewalt 12 in compound miter saw
Craftsman 9 in band saw
Craftsman 9 in drill press
Delta sanding station-disc and 4x36 belt
Delta bench grinder

Other power tools include:
Dewalt 18v hammer drill/driver
Dewalt 18v cordless circular saw 6in
Dewalt random orbit sander <------I highly recomend this sander! :wave:
Dewalt belt sander 3x21
Dewalt 4in angle grinder
Dewalt 3/8in corded drill
Dewalt corded recip. saw
Porter-Cable corded circular saw
Porter-Cable pancake compressor
Porter-Cable 16ga finish nailer and 18ga brad nailer
Porter-Cable profile sander
Craftsman plate joiner
Skil jig saw
Skil 1/4 sheet sander

I'm sure that at some point I will upgrade the band saw and drill press to something more substantial, but for now it does what I need it to do.

One thing that I am lacking is dust collection. I currently have a pile of saw dust / chips that I could probably loose my 2 year old son in! :eek:

I will post some updates along with the newest pictures soon!

Attachments

• shop1.jpg
    shop1.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 263
  • shop3.jpg
    shop3.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 273
  • shop4.jpg
    shop4.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 222
  • shop5.jpg
    shop5.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 194
  • shop6.jpg
    shop6.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
looks like you have got the essentials down pat, but dont hestitate on the DC for to long, it will be good for you and your son. and the pics of tods son, well we are preety sure he took after his mom:D

thanks for sharing sean!......here`s a pic of my 2y/o in the sawdust...
View attachment 6480
Until he gets a little older, I am trying to keep the little guy out of the shop as it is extremely un-child proof. It goes with out saying that a wood shop can be a potentially dangerous place, and I need my full concentration on what I am working on (so I can keep my fingers intact). I don't want to have to worry about him and myself at the same time.

I am looking forward to when he gets older (and child proofing isn't an issue) so we can make stuff together.

Looks like your off to a good start. What is the size of your sapce? My space in thebasement has poles every 8' length and every 10' width. You should to get the dust collector before the wife kills you. That fine dust will make its way up stairs and cover everything. Plus it doesnt do much for the lungs.

May be my bad but,
I don't see any DC in the shop:huh:
That should be on your short list of new toyls when you have a shop. Especially in the house with little ones around.
Git r done!!;)
Tyler,

Nope, your right, I don't have any dust collection yet. That is on my list of "need to get items".

What kind are you using? Any recomendations?

Thanks !

How tall a space do you have?

You can fool around with chip collectors, and bags, filters etc, etc, you can trade up, trade sideways, whatever, in the end, most likely a lot of time, aggravation, and money later, you will buy or build a cyclone.

The only thing that could limit it is the height you have there.

That being said, you could maybe put it outside in a compartment with an air return.

The Clearvue is a good unit.

Cheers!

Looks like your off to a good start. What is the size of your sapce? My space in thebasement has poles every 8' length and every 10' width. You should to get the dust collector before the wife kills you. That fine dust will make its way up stairs and cover everything. Plus it doesnt do much for the lungs.
Al,

I'll get the measurements of the shop up soon. I need to get some newer pictures up too... Especially the new fence and extension on my TS.

If I had to guess, I would say that it is about 25 feet by 12 feet, and 7 1/2 feet high. -- But don't hold me to that.

I was able to split the basement in half. One half has a pool table, washer/dryer and a treadmill. The other half is the shoppe. There are poles in the basement, but they run down the center; which is where I divided the basement.

The planer is the worst for volume, but the router is the worst for fine powdery dust. Any time I'm doing routing & sanding, I wear a dust mask. It must help some, as I'm not coughing afterwards :eek:

A few updates

Here is a picture of the new fence on my TS. It is the 50 in Accu-Rip that Rockler carries. I made the small extensions on each end out of 3/4 in MDF.

In the backgound you can see the Dewalt 12 in compound miter saw and the Delta 13 in 2 speed planer.

Also here is my router table that is in the extension on my TS. The fence is made from an oak 2x4. I picked up the feather board from Rockler. It is mounted so that it can be adjusted up or down depending on the stock being feed.

The original pictures are from before I had my new router, so I though I would add it in.

Still more to come....

Attachments

• TS1.jpg
    TS1.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 26
  • router4.jpg
    router4.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 21
  • router1.jpg
    router1.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 12
  • router2.jpg
    router2.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 12
Update to Shop Info

Here is a rough (very not to scale) layout of my Basement Shop. (I only get half the basement :dunno: ).

The Table Saw & CMS are on wheels. The Planer is on a stand that I move toward the center of the shop when using it. The Belt/Disc sander is a bench top Delta that I store on the 2nd shelf of the Planer Stand when not in use.

Not in the drawing is the overhead ductwork for the furnace. Also not in the drawing is the air cleaner-filter (just recently built this). This is suspened over the assembly bench near where the grinder is located.

Right now the large open floor space in between the bench on the right side and the table saw is being consumed by the carcass of a 3 door cabinet that has been in progress for quite some time. :doh:

The direct access to the outside is great for binging in bulky items and stock. :thumb:

Attachments

• shoplayout.JPG
    shoplayout.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 19