Rip fence ideas

larry merlau

well glenn bradley is probably our hero on jigs and fixtures but i saw a pic of how he was using a feather board with bessy clamps and not using the bolts provided so i thought just maybe i could show him one thing or two that he could use to make his life better and i know he will do a better job on the slots:) first hing is on my fence top i have a spiral note book that i can write down the setting i used for this cut or the size needed rather than try to remember them from one time or another and it holds a pencil as well or a marker for marking the good side up of a piece on the end of it.. the next things is to use the sacrificial fence for dados and yet have the feather board adjustable and in the proper place at the cut with out the bessys hanging off the side to get in the way of the storage area of the cut pieces:) hope this helps jig master:)

rip fence- x 004.jpgrip fence- x 001.jpgrip fence- x 002.jpgrip fence- x 003.jpg

those rockler clamps are incredibly handy. i have a similar set from another manufacturer and I cant tell you how many uses I have found for them to hold various fixtures on my ts fence. I like your addtion of the sacrificial fence Larry, I have always just grabbed a piece of scrap fromt he pile drilled a couple 1/2 inch holes in it and threw it away when I was done.

i have come up with something that i feel is needed on the clamps and that is some plastic dip on the washer part or some leather..reason being it will mar the side of the fence if you reff it down and over the course of time it could get real ragged there.. and on my fence the sides dont come off real easy and dont know if i could replce them if they did.. so protect your fence with leather or cork or platic dip on the washer part..