My first project using Sketchup...

John Pollman

I downloaded and started using Sketchup a couple weeks ago. Been playing around with it off and on but decided to get serious about it this morning because I didn't have anything else going on today. I don't have any hardware drawn on it yet, but here's the basic design of a blanket chest that I want to build. It's a pretty close replica of one I just refinished for a friend a couple weeks ago. I might even add some trim or maybe some inlay for decoration. I think I'm going to use 3/4 Oak ply for this one to see how it comes out. It's going to be roughly 42" long, 18" deep, and 21" high.

blanket chest 3.jpg

Went out and picked up the material today. I've got all of the sides for both boxes cut and edge banded. It's late and I'm tired, so I'll pick it up again tomorrow. I should be able to get the boxes assembled tomorrow. Then I can cut the bottom of each box and the lid. This should be a pretty simple build and it's going pretty well so far. I'll post some pics as the project progresses.

It's almost addictive doing projects first in SU. Once you get used to it, it becomes second nature to plan it out there first, then take it to the shop.

I think I'm headed down that road too guys. :)

To tell you the truth, most projects I do come right out of my head and never make it to paper. I built a pretty nice 10x10 shed one time and didn't have a plan for any of it. It looks like I'm probably going to be getting much deeper into woodworking than I ever have, so the projects will end up being much more complex than stuff I'd done in the past. The other nice thing about Sketchup is that you can actually SEE what something will look like instead of having to visualize it.

It's 12:20 a.m. and my mind is racing. I'd love to be down in the shop, but the wife and son are trying to sleep so I don't think that would go over too big. I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow. I think I can probably get the major construction done tomorrow. Looking forward to using the new Kreg Jig system I just bought. I tried it out on a couple scrap pieces of Oak ply I had laying around and was impressed at the strength of the joint WITHOUT glue. I'll be using glue for the fabrication of this chest so it's going to be SOLID.

Last edited:
An update to the design. I wanted to add some trim and I figured out what I wanted to do and how to draw it. I think I'm going to add a beveled edge to the top and some beveled trim to the bottom of the chest. Here's the updated drawing I just finished.

blanket chest 4.jpg

I should be able to finish up tomorrow. (at least construction) I've got the upper and lower boxes and the legs done. Tomorrow I'll cut the lid to size and glue up the solid wood edge on it. While the glue sets up, I'll make up the trim and install it and the legs. Then I'll put the chamfer on the wood edge of the lid and install the hinges. I've just got to find some hardware that I like and decide on a color. It's coming out pretty nice so far!

It's almost addictive doing projects first in SU. Once you get used to it, it becomes second nature to plan it out there first, then take it to the shop.

Yep! I needed to make a simple utility stand to elevate the storage box LOML uses for birdseed outdoors. One board. One quick drawing as a sanity check. It works, thanks to Dave Richards getting me past my brain freeze last year!!!

From concept to reality...

Decision time. I'm going to pick up some mission style handles and install them. I had planned on putting lock/latches on each of the sections but I think I'm going to leave it alone. I don't think it needs locks. I think just a single handle in the center of the front side of the top compartment. Then one on either side just below the seam on the lower compartment. Just needs a little sanding and install the hinges and it's ready for finishing. Now I need to decide what color.

blanket chest.jpg

Ready for finish!

I haven't installed the handles yet because I just ordered them today. They should be here by the end of the week. I ordered some really nice mission style handles that should dress it up nicely. I've already got this one sold, I'm just waiting for their color choice so I can stain it. Here's what it looks like complete. I'll post some more pics after the finish is applied.

Blanket chest 1.jpgBlanket chest 2.jpgBlanket chest3.jpg

I'm not sure, but I think it's Red Oak. It's 3/4 Oak plywood that I bought at Home Depot. The trim and legs are 3/4 Oak that I bought at HD also, so the solid wood is Red I'm pretty sure.

Well Rob,
I've been going through some pretty tough times lately. Both physically and mentally. I've found woodworking to be therapeutic in both problem areas. It allows me to go down into the shop and forget my problems for a while and concentrate on something CONSTRUCTIVE. Worrying is COUNTERPRODUCTIVE and NOT good. In the end, I have a nice piece of furniture to admire. :)

The hardware came in today and I got it installed. I really like the way it looks. I think I'm going to order some more of these handles, they go very well with the style of this chest.

Blanket chest4.jpgBlanket chest5.jpg