Can't find a 12" saw blade with 5/8 arbor ANYWHERE.

John Pollman

I've got the DeWalt 12" double bevel compound sliding miter saw and have had it for probably at least 10 years. It's probably my favorite and most used tools. It's in need of a new blade so I headed off to the BORG to buy one. They've got lots of 12" blades but they are all for 1" arbors! The same situation at Lowes. I haven't bought a blade for it in quite a while. I guess they've switched all of the new saws to 1" arbors because I can't find a blade anywhere so far. It looks like I'll be taking a few of my old ones in for sharpening.

I had one other thought. Maybe a 5/8 - 1" adapter? I looked at the DeWalt site and couldn't find such an animal. Oh well, I guess I better find a good sharpening service in my area.

Yep, it's a 5/8 arbor. I picked one up today and got home with it and when I went to put it on, the 1" arbor was way too big. Arbor size didn't even cross my mind when I bought it. I've bought blades numerous times over the years I've owned the saw and it's never been an issue. But I think that all of the newer saws are going top 1" so they're phasing out the 5/8.

Thanks Brent, that's EXACTLY what I need. I think I'll order that 5/8 - 1" adapter from Amazon.

I find this thread very interesting. I have an old 10"compound miter saw that I use once every 3 years if I am doing construction , so I guess I am out of the loop. Do all the 12" saws now have a 1" arbor hole? I know Sears used to sell a 12 " table saw with a 5/8 arbor . Are they a possibility? I have an old 9" Dewalt RAS that I have trouble finding a for. Actually I also have a 10 " RAS soI am not looking to hard. It does create problems for the older saws. This is nice to know.

Tom

I don't know for sure, but from looking at what is commercially available, the standards have changed somewhat over the years. The larger blades now seem to only come setupfor the larger arbors.

Must be why they sell the adapters, for us guys with the older saws that want to keep using them! :thumb:

Any saw service that sharpen blades usually carry bushings to size down arbor holes for both SAE and metric.

MikesMasterLogo2.gif

movingplane1.gif

Yeah, they have bushings for them. When I've ordered blades from mfr in the past, they can usually get professionally bushed with the bushing pinned in. My Delta 12" turret style RAS is the same deal with 5/8" arbor.

I feel bad for the folks that can't use 10" blades on their fancy saws for thin stock.

John doesn't your saw have a reducer bushing on it? My DeWalt does... if not you should be able to pick one up easy enough.
I second the Forrest choice. The chopmaster is a superb blade, full thickness and doesn't flex on compound cuts like the thin kerfs do. Worth the investment