How did this guy get the white stripe in the bar top??

It's possible he did something like in this step-stool project???:

(Make a curve in one piece, make a template out of it, then use the template to route a clean edge on one side, then use the other piece to route a clean edge on the next board and glue it together.... I don't quite get it myself, even after watching that video. I'd like to try it sometime though, just to make it work!)

The picture isn't that great, but it kinda looks to me like it was just taped off when he stained the rest (on the last image possibly). Hard to tell, but it's interesting nonetheless....though I can't say I care for the final outcome. I do, however, enjoy a bookmatched slab that has the natural heartwood/sapwood making the color variation. That can look pretty sweet.

- Hutch

Last edited:
I don't know how it was done in the ad, but this is how I would do it. I've not done this with that size material, but I think the concept would be the same.

First, find two pieces of wood the colors you want.

d73a84ba8e855a1385d2735dbbd27801.jpg

Then, attach them together. Some use double side tape, I like to use screws that will be cut off later. You have to make sure you have at least two screws on each side of the cut. For this demonstration, I'm using two pieces of the same wood sliced in two with my band saw. It'll work the same with two different species.

72b9b926c68baab89805453303b673bc.jpg

First cut.

736a445153e05e0d784519abc36697f0.jpg

cb7a0d44a788da629556ec591ed28e6f.jpg

Second cut.

c00253e64b0423d5c96f751be013f477.jpg

6a4406ea79672cff6a49ae1cc084a561.jpg

Then glue everything together.

fa8dc6bf84c3aba34b60d22e4a0e84df.jpg

Sand it down and get this.

e8ac4f4ec013ffb7db3fa789b7d2466c.jpg

A couple of things to keep in mind. If you look close, you'll see there are a couple places on the curve that are not perfect. The reasons for this is twofold. First, this should be done with, at least, an 1/8" blade with lots of teeth on a bandsaw, or better yet, a scroll saw. Presently, I have neither. I used my standard 1/4" 6tpi. Second, no matter how small a blade you have, you have to cut the curve within the blade's curve capacity. When doing this type of work, you have to be very conservative with the curve you cut.

I started doing this to put hardwood tips on kayak paddles. A straight line joint was not very strong. By adding curves, I was able to add strength to the joint, and more glue surface. I've seen this process used on cutting boards also.

John

Last edited:
so what brings you over here john from SMC ? been awhile since i have seen your name pop up welcome to the other side of earth:) thanks for posting your thoughts on this thread

so what brings you over here john from SMC ? been awhile since i have seen your name pop up welcome to the other side of earth:) thanks for posting your thoughts on this thread

Hi Larry,

I've kept track of Family Woodworking from the beginning. It's a great site. Being a basic wood butcher, I didn't really have anything to post until I saw this thread. About four years ago I got involved in consulting work, refurbishing vintage woodworking machines and wooden sailboats. Those things kept me inactive on all woodworking sites. This year I've completely retired and have all the woodworking machines I want. So, I've had time to get involved on woodworking sites again.

Good to hear from you all.

John

John, that is how I teach my students to make "mirror image" pens. We of course glue together and then cut apart and reglue together. It is a cool way to make an individual pair of pen blanks/pens. I can't imagine wrestling that monster times 2 through a bandsaw! Welcome to the family.

John, that is how I teach my students to make "mirror image" pens. We of course glue together and then cut apart and reglue together. It is a cool way to make an individual pair of pen blanks/pens. I can't imagine wrestling that monster times 2 through a bandsaw! Welcome to the family.

It's only a couple of inches thick, so you'd only be cuttings about 4", but you'd certainly need some good indeed and out feed tables.

John

Good to see your name pop up, John. :wave:

I've done contrasting curved pieces in much the same way you illustrated, although I also added 1/16" contrasting wood "pinstripes". One added bonus is that you get two finished pieces for your efforts. Here are a couple of examples...pecan and jatoba paper towel holders;

Jatoba%20and%20Pecan%20-%2001%20800.jpg

Pecan%20and%20Jatoba%20-%2001%20800.jpg

...Were the pinstripes actually cut out curved or just pressed in as thin slices when glued?...

They were just thin strips ripped on the tablesaw then soaked in hot water for a while. I clamped everything up without the glue to make sure the joints were tight then left it overnight to dry and bend the strips.