Crack filling question

rich havnt used those but have used a tootsie roll from mohawk before.. it kinda similar,, my problem was also that the glue came up between the pieces and was dry and left a line of off color but after sanding and filling some and giving it a alcohol wipe test it looks to be ok just some toning and i think i will be fine but will look into the color sticks for futer troubles thanks rich

I never use the burn in sticks or other non-wood fillers. I have tried them, and can hide the nail hole, flaw, or crack at the time of finishing but later the color of the filler doesn't change in the same way that the color of the wood changes.

An example: When I moved into my almost new home I knew the cabinets were custom; they looked good, but no pocket screws, no apparent dados, so I wondered how the cabinets were held together. A couple years later it was obvious - they were just nailed together with an expert job of filling the nail holes... until the wood aged to a different color than the filler. The picture shows two of the many (originally invisible) nail holes in the side of one of the cabinets.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Filler.JPG
    Filler.JPG
    9.5 KB · Views: 34
thats the beauty of the burn in sticks. you match them to the finish not the raw wood. Also, changing the shape to match some grain or a mineral streak if others are present works well. I wouldnt use them to fill nail holes, in fact if the piece is to be finished in any way other than a solid color I never use exposed fasteners for the very reason you showed above Charlie.

Larry, if the glue had left the line like that a razer sharp chisel to scratch a groove then fill to match would have worked as well.