Cutlist for Sketchup - I Need Help

EDIT: I just got the first problem diagnosed. I cleared the 'Part Words' field, and all is well.

ORIGINAL POST:
Well, I don't use Sketchup regularly, but I have a grasp of the basics. What I don't have is an understanding of how to use the Cutlist plugin. I got it installed correctly, but something ain't quite clicking between what I am modeling and what the plugin needs in order to create a detailed list/yield diagram.

Problem 1: I have done a bunch of searches, and found various articles on certain issues, but I can't get it figured out. At this point it seems that my problems are a result of not having the components "done" the way the plugin needs them to be.

Problem 2: What's the best/easiest way to assign a material? Just make/define my own?

Thanks!

- Hutch

Last edited:
Matt,

First of all, there should be no reason to clear the Part Words field. Or did you use words that were in that field as definition names for parts that aren't parts? Without seeing your model it is difficult to tell if you are doing something wrong with the model to make the cut list plugin not work as expected.

As to your second question. if you are trying to separate parts by the type of wood such as a primary and secondary wood, you can apply simple colors to the faces in the components and, in the In Model Materials library, change the names of those colors to the names of the wood species you're using. SO you might apply a brown color to the faces in the show parts and name it 'Walnut' and apply a light yellow to the secondary wood parts and name that material 'Yellow Poplar'. The plugin will then add those materials to the line items and calculate board foot values for each type of wood.

If you are trying to separate sheet materials from lumber, add a sheet material wood to the component definition names of those components that are to be made of sheet materials.

If you want, I'll take a look at your model and see if I can give you some guidance. I'll PM you my e-mail address.

Once again Dave, your ability to share certain particular aspects of the working of Sketch Up is invaluable. There are those who have deep and wide skills with a product but, it is the rare individual who can isolate and convey specific information in a way that will teach the student to fish as opposed to feed him. Thanks from us all.