"PUNCH" cigar box guitar

Tom Baugues

Im building this guitar as a gift for my brother. I've got enough done now that I tought I would post a few images of my progress. Nothing fancy however I feel it is coming along nicely. The only power tool I've used is the bandsaw to strip down the piece of Walnut for the neck. I formed the neck with a hand plane. It's about 1 3/4" wide x 34" long.
IMG_0146 copy (Small).jpg

Next photo shows the slot cut for the NUT placement near the headstock on the neck.
IMG_0147 (Small).JPG

In this image I have cut the slots in each side of the box so the neck will fit through.
IMG_0148 (Small).JPG

Supports inside the box get glued to the sides and the neck get test fitted into place.
IMG_0151 (Small).JPG

With the supports in place I can now screw the neck down to the supports.
IMG_0157 (Small).JPG

Close the lid and it is starting to look like something.
IMG_0159 (Small).JPG

Now its time to cut the slots for the frets. After laying out my lines I used a Japanese pull saw to carfully cut each slot to just the right depth.
IMG_0163 (Small).JPG

Now its time to add the fret wire. Lay it in the slots and knock into place then cut off with wire cutters.
IMG_0167 copy (Small).jpg

So, thats all I've got so far. It will take me a while now as each fret wire will have to be hand filed so all sharp edges are smooth and rounded over. These are fun to make. I'm enjoying the process.

If you stand on your left foot only while looking up and have your right eye closed you can jut barely hear it playing... Well done Tom tom

Very cool and to think of all the potential cigar box guitars I've thrown in the trash! :eek:

I have real cuban cigar boxes too you know.

I have some cigars from Honduras called Camacho that have a very nice wooden box......

BCAMACHOSLR3.JPG

..... like this, has nice thick rounded sides to the box which might be perfect for your cigar box guitars....?

Very cool, I hope you will post a video of the guitar being played, I'd love to hear it.

That's a smoking geeeetar for sure! Well "doing" Tom!

PS I have a nice wooden box that held my wife's S&W .357 revolver. Do you suppose that'll sing?

PSPS We are all staying "tuned in" for the audio. ;)

Last edited:
LOL.....your all cracking me up. Waiting to see a video of me playing????? That would be not be pretty and your ears would not survive! I'm no guitar player. I have been trying but my fingers don't seem to listen to my brain.

Stuart.... That is a good looking box for sure.

Thanks all for the nice comments. I'll post more photos as progress continues

That is a great looking CBG Tom. I have the box you made for the box swap that I was lucky enough to receive setting on the bookshelf next to my home office desk. I picked him up so he could check out his distant "cousin". I think he's smiling :D.

Tom Box Sees CBG.jpg

Last edited:
Glenn, I'm no box psychiatrist, but that looks to me like a worried frown, not a smile. I'd have a worried frown, too, if I saw one of my cousins with a stick poking out of both ends. :eek: :D