a simple project that seemed to take way to long

This is the inside of an 1850's safe I helped restore for a friend.

the safe had 1/4" dados in the walls, top and bottom. so I figured out a small pattern of shelves that would fit in the dados. It took me 7 hours to do this. thats way longer than I thought it would. I mean I knew i was a little slow but man, this seemed to take forever.
I had a hard time figuring out how to get everything together without using any fasteners. My friend kept saying "why cant you just bend all the parts into those slots". I finally convinced him that would never work. I planned out a way to hold the shelves in place and slide a dadoed center panel in over them. I actually did the whole thing twice. once with practice wood and then with the real thing. No glue, screws or nails. Snug but not tight.

it came out pretty good. I have not really had a chance to do any GOOD work in my shop all winter My wood working shop has been used for everything but wood work for about 4 months. so this was a treat even if it was small and time consuming.
still needs its drawer pull which is going to come from an antique shop.

Attachments

• safe shelves.jpg
    safe shelves.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 60
Looks like you did a nice jobe - well done!

As for the time it took you to do this, I suspect you were being extra careful, taking your time to avoid mistakes, do a good job, & milking the enjoyment of working on your project. I also take more time on my projects, for the reasons I just stated, although I still make mistakes. :doh:Perhaps you are guilty of the same "enjoyment"???

Last edited:
Looks like you did a nice jobe - well done!

As for the time it took you to do this, I suspect you were being extra careful, taking your time to avoid mistakes, do a good job, & milking the enjoyment of working on your project. I also take more time on my projects, for the reasons I just stated, although I still make mistakes. :doh:Perhaps you are guilty of the same "enjoyment"???

Yes. even with doing the practice pieces and trying to be as careful as I could there was a little extra "enjoyment" . I guess what made it extra special for me is how much the owner loved this safe. The outside was professionally refinished and pinstriped with period lettering and everything. And that was rather costly imho. So being trusted to do the inside was pretty cool. I'm now a tiny bit bigger part of history than I was before :)

I hate to be the one to tell you Keith but, we've all talked this out and . . . . you are the only person who has ever had this happen :D:D:D. Seriously, the "that sure tool longer than I thought" syndrome is an oddly recurring beast. I keep thinking I will learn to avoid it but, alas.

Great job on the safe. The "look" suits the setting and is a nice compliment to the vintage stash-eroo.

I hate to be the one to tell you Keith but, we've all talked this out and . . . . you are the only person who has ever had this happen :D:D:D. Seriously, the "that sure tool longer than I thought" syndrome is an oddly recurring beast. I keep thinking I will learn to avoid it but, alas.

Great job on the safe. The "look" suits the setting and is a nice compliment to the vintage stash-eroo.

that got a chuckle.:)

thanks.

The next time I complete a wwing project in anything close to the projected time will be the first time (IT projects I have a pretty handle on.. no one believes me though - waddya mean that will take two years?!!?!).

The other thing I've found is that the simplest projects are often the hardest to get "just right", there is nothing to hide behind. This certainly appears to be one of those cases. Looks like you (eventually :D) pulled it off though :thumb: