NIP WIP

Chuck Ellis

This is a work in progress... just finished the turning part, still need to put a finish on it... it's from one of 3 logs of norfolk island pine that I got at my local lumber supplier's a couple of years back... I turned one pretty soon after I got them, but decided it was too green/wet so I held the other two back for a year.... this is the first of the two.... the other is still waiting for me, but it was a little chilly in the shop today... even with the heater never got much over 40 degrees.DSCF5381.jpgDSCF5380.jpg

Good vases. The ring of knots makes them good attention grabbers. They would work well in a (or 2) display in an up scale woman's boutique or dress shop. They would also work well in a masculine up-scale man's outdoor or casual clothing shop.

The wait was worth it.

Enjoy,
JimB

Those are gonna be great Chuck!! How thick/thin, tall, wide are they? NIP is on my list of "I wanna try it".

This is just under 10" tall and just under 6" diameter at the widest part... the walls aren't as thin as I would have liked, maybe 1/4" in the mouth, but run a little thicker down into the form... maybe closer to 1/2" +..... I don't have a really good hollowing rig like a Jamison or such... I use a Don Pencil which is hand held and can be a little work, plus this would have benefited from a steady - which I also don't have yet - I do have one of the Termite ring tools and the Sorby Turnmaster with a round cutter on it, both worked very well in this.

I'm impressed you did this without a steady rest. I have a Sorby Turnmaster and it is very 'catchy' to me....although I realize the catches are really me. I finally finished my first HF after 4 years with a steady rest having broken the tenon twice not using a steady rest. Took me a weekend to make a steady rest for my 1442. Well worth the time. I sold my 1442 this weekend with the steady rest. I bought one for my 3520B...$ouch$.

Nice piece of NIP.