This Just About Wore Me Out Watching It!

Yep, amazing, how with some very simple tools these humans can produce a product that is a basic building block of civilization. I counted 19 bricks for one team of two guys in two and a half minutes, that is 456 bricks an hour for two guys, if they work like that for 8 hours that is 3648 bricks a day, and there are two teams, so 7296 bricks, lets just say 7000 bricks a day for that four man team, impressive. The thing is I will bet you that not too many generations removed in any of our families, we had relatives who did similar kinds of work.
These guys work hard and have a system down pat, I hope they earn a decent wage for where they are etc.
Impressive for sure!

And it looks like they are enjoying their work. Either that or they have a mildly funny person entertaining them just off camera left. I've seen videos of guys mixing something on the ground, maybe mortar, and tossing it up to the second story of a building being worked on, time after time after time and never miss. Just wonder how long it takes to master those kind of skills. Jim.

A local big name contractor uses legal Mexican labor exclusively. All his masonry and carpentry work is done by immigrants. They come in on work visas on a six month (I think) rotation. He told me he can't find the same work ethic/skill level in the local labor force. He pays them good wages. I think we have collectively looked down our noses at skilled labor in favor of more cerebral work because of the perception that it pays more. Big mistake.

Last edited:
Incredible synchronization! I wonder if they can stand up at the end of the day, or if they have to walk around like that.

They're young, their knees have gotten the stiffened cartilage us older guys have... I can squat like that for about 1 minute and then I need something to pull myself back up again.... and they likely will work like that for 8-10 hours a day.... we had a Mexican crew that worked for us before I retired.... our work yard was solid concrete about 11 inches thick and on a hot day it was almost like walking around on a griddle... those guys would start at 5 am and likely work till midnight if we needed them to... same pace all day long. And were laughing and joking the whole time.

A local big name contractor uses legal Mexican labor exclusively. All his masonry and carpentry work is done by immigrants. They come in on work visas on a six month (I think) rotation. He told me he can't find the same work ethic/skill level in the local labor force. He pays them good wages. I think we have collectively looked down our noses at skilled labor in favor of more cerebral work because of the perception that it pays more. Big mistake.

When I first moved to the Houston area, I bought a tract house, my first ever brand new house...the contractor used almost exclusively all immigrant labor.... I drove by one evening after work to see what progress they were doing and noticed pallets of bricks sitting in the driveway.... the next evening I went by again to see how far they were along with the brick laying.... the house was completely bricked, front, rear and sides. Wish I had been there to have watched them put up the bricks... must have looked like the cartoon ants in high motion to put up that many bricks in an 8-10 hour day.... That house was about 1300 square feet, plus a 2 car garage, bricked all the way up and around. Plus there was a wall between the living room that was 8 x 8 that was bricked as well. In Texas growing up I had always heard the expression "Lazy Mexicans".... have yet to meet one.

Yep, amazing, how with some very simple tools these humans can produce a product that is a basic building block of civilization.

That's why the aliens selected us to build their pyramids. Seriously though, impressive to say the least. The guy on the right makes my whole back hurt around the ribs just under the shoulder blades. No wonder the older we get, the better we were. Just think of some of the things we have done . . . and lived to tell.

Amazing indeed. Took me a while to spot the wire that the guy on the right was using to trim the top of the adobes.