Flattening water borne lacquer

Dave Black

I just ordered some target em6000 gloss lacquer for some things I'm working on and I don't think i"ll use it all for this. For most of my other projects I use semi gloss or satin so can I add flatteners to this. I saw on american restoration that you can use corn starch to flatten paints or maybe he said finishes, I don't remember. Any idea if it will work on EM6000?

Don't know the answer to your question but I did see the deal on american restoration myself as well. I am interested in the outcome of your query.

I use that Target lacquer. If I want a more matte finish I take steel wool and rub the surface down with mineral oil. You can get almost any matte level you want by your choice of steel wool.

The other alternative is to buy a gallon of satin or whatever you want and shoot your final coat with that.

Mike

I use that Target lacquer. If I want a more matte finish I take steel wool and rub the surface down with mineral oil. You can get almost any matte level you want by your choice of steel wool.

The other alternative is to buy a gallon of satin or whatever you want and shoot your final coat with that.

Mike

I have done that before, I just prefer shooting with semi, or flat if thats what the projects needs over taking the sheen off with steel wool or other abrasives. For me I end up with more consistant finishes that way.

the problem with using multiple coats of satin or semi is that you get ore diffusing matter than you need, for a top notch finish, do as mike suggests. you have the same effect but better clarity:)

I would just flatten the top coat, not spray all the coats with semi. In any case does anybody if the corn starch or something else will work.

I've used talc (baby powder) as a flattening agent - many years ago. It works with pigmented stuff, but makes clear finished 'murky.'

What I do now - with both waterborne and solvent clears - is use only gloss products, and flatten to the level I want (after the finishes have cured for a while) using "Mirlon" synthetic steel wool. The Mirlon comes in 360, 1000, and 2500 'grits,' I generally use the 360 and 1000.

Check the MSDS for your finish, and you may find it's a similar make up as a waterbase polyurethane. Manufacturers can call their product anything they want to sell it. I would only use a synthetic "wool", or a Scotchbtite pad to do any rubbing. If you want to just knock off the final sheen, start with a gloss, and the final coat would be satin. Talc is a common flattener.

MikesMasterLogo2.gif

movingplane1.gif