Bench Touch Up

Stuart Ablett

My bench, is really a work table, and it has a plywood top.

I usually take the ROS to it about once a year just to remove the glue and other stuff that gets on it. I also refresh the wax coating I put on it, helps (for a while) to keep things sort of clean...........

bench_before.jpg
Here it is before I did anything to it, well besides make it a really dirty mess :rolleyes:

bench_sanding.jpg
I started with a #80 pad, and then went to a #120, not much point in going beyond that, I think

bench_waxing.jpg
next I slathered on a thick coating of wax, basically put it on until I had a film of wax built up on the surface. At first the freshly sanded plywood sucks up the wax, but after a while it kind of builds up, at that point, I take a green scrubby pad (Scotch Brite?) and stick it on the ROS, I then go at it with this, it heats the wax up a bit and really pushes it into the wood.

bench_buffed.jpg
After letting it dry, overnight, I take a buffing pad on the ROS to the table top, this takes only a few minutes, and the top, while not "Shinny" is a lot smoother and cleaner than before.

bench_before_after.jpg

I know this is not "Fine Woodworking" but you CAN renew a plywood bench or table top to a working condtion, a few times at least.

Nice to have the bench all clean again!

Cheers!

Last edited: