Design ideas for a bar / liquor cabinet

Hi everyone,

I'm looking into building some type of cabinet to hold wine & liquor.

I really like the idea of an "expanding" cabinet like the one from Crosley Furniture pictured here

I already have storage for the glasses, so I'm looking into adapting the design for more bottles.

One concern I have is that on the inner faces of the cabinets, since there is no face frame, the end of the boards would be exposed and since I'm considering building this out of cherry plywood, I'd like some advice on how to treat the edges.

My idea would be to have some 3/4" pieces of cherry, about 1" wide, in which I'd cut a groove, and to create a short tenon on the edge of the plywood boards.
would that work ? any other suggestions ?

Another area is how to build the base & short legs (from the link above, I prefer the "newport" look).

Thanks
--Pierre

One concern I have is that on the inner faces of the cabinets, since there is no face frame, the end of the boards would be exposed and since I'm considering building this out of cherry plywood, I'd like some advice on how to treat the edges.

The typical method is to use edge banding which could be 1/4 in. thick or even less.

My idea would be to have some 3/4" pieces of cherry, about 1" wide, in which I'd cut a groove, and to create a short tenon on the edge of the plywood boards.
would that work ? any other suggestions ?

You could do that but it isn't really necessary. Simply gluing the edge banding on will be enough.

Another area is how to build the base & short legs (from the link above, I prefer the "newport" look).

the base would be fairly simple. Molding around the edges of a piece of plywood. You might double up the plywood at least around the edges. Take a look at Osborne Wood Products for some suitable bun feet.