Hand grenade

Chuck Thoits

Had more than one board turn into a grenade in side the Dewalt 735 planer. It had gotten so bad that the inside of the machine would fill with chips to the point of not being able to adjust it up or down. Well tonight it was find out what's wrong with the old beast and see if it is a fix or toss. I dug in and found that both of the chip shrouds are broken and the fan is missing some parts. As for the adjustment a good cleaning and it is good as new. So I went and found the parts I need to fix it back up and for $75.00 it will be good to go again. So I guess it's a fixer.:thumb::thumb::thumb:
Pic to come

My Dewalt 735 has worked wonderfully. However, I am sure that I only do a small fraction of the planing that you do. In statistics a small sample is a dangerous thing. In the book (and movie) Around the World in Eighty Days, Whats his name (the lead guy) carries two watches so he can be sure of the time. Here comes the statistical killer---If they are NOT the same, which one is correct? He needed a sample of, at least, three---three watches.

Therefore when you use the planer 500 times and I do 5, your word supersedes mine. Gads, doesn't that sound like a pile of science gone awry?

I think I better leave you now.

Enjoy,
JimB

...He needed a sample of, at least, three---three watches...

Yeppers, back when I was in the materials testing biz, we'd say "one is an indication, two is a trend, and three is a test."

I worked on one Corps of Engineers project where my job was to run tests to confirm the results the testing guys got. Truly the Department of Redundancy Department. I was essentially testing the testers. I had a lab trailer set up next to theirs on the jobsite. (Their client was the contractor; my client was the owner - the Corps.) We ran a LOT of soil, soil cement, and concrete tests for those 9 months. And if something passed his lab and failed in mine, there was even more procedural redundancy to figure out what went wrong. Thing is, I had previously worked with the guy I was supposed to be testing against, both as a co-worker and a client. (We were good friends who were both laughing out loud the first day I rolled onto the jobsite and we saw it was going to be the two of us in these "enemy" roles.)

If either of us got questionable results from a test, we'd get together and figure out what had gone wrong and decide if anything needed to be re-tested (or rebuilt) or if we should just write off the anomaly. We were hired to be adversaries, but instead we just worked as partners to get the owner a good product...even if it meant not quite following the rules to the letter. ;) (It also helped that the head engineer for the Corps on that job was a common-sense guy who didn't get to hung up on procedure, either. Like us, he just wanted a good product.)

Sorry for the threadjack, Chuck. Glad to hear you've saved your planer from that pile of worn-out power tools you've got stashed behind your shop. :D

Glad you got yours fixed Chuck

Mine has been a disappointment. It is about 2 months old and has only planed about 200bf of cherry so far. The finish is fantastic but the snipe is much worse than my 733 was. I've done every adjustment to the infeed and outfeed tables and even removed them. When feeding a board it feeds smoothly first the first roller then it feels like it hits a small bump when it hits the second roller and it puts a considerable divot in the wood. So far I'm sorry I bought it.

bob, so your snipe is how far down the board? sounds like your rollers arent set properly. for me snip occurs on the last foot of lumber if i have it not the beginning???

oppps meant to add these to the first post
Last pic is of the fixed plow pump that white pickup tube had fallen off.

Attachments

• tn_DSC01727.JPG
    tn_DSC01727.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 52
  • tn_DSC01728.JPG
    tn_DSC01728.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 53
  • tn_DSC01730.JPG
    tn_DSC01730.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 55
Jim I am not so sure on the small fraction of planing but I can rest well in the knowledge that you are definitely not as hard on the equipment as I am. The grande that was the last straw so to say was planing down a maple mix cutting board when a knot in the board exploded. But it was not the first grande set of inside that poor machine by any stretch.:thumb: Yes I will plane an end grain cutting board. Some times it works some times it explodes. :thumb::rofl::rofl:

snipe is worst about 5" from the lead (beginning) end of the board. Not quite as bad on the trailing end but still there. I lift the board up as it comes out of the planer and it reduces the snipe a bit but is totally unacceptable. It happens on long as well as short boards.
The rollers are as they were set when I bought it. I can't find any info on adjusting them??

snipe is worst about 5" from the lead (beginning) end of the board. Not quite as bad on the trailing end but still there. I lift the board up as it comes out of the planer and it reduces the snipe a bit but is totally unacceptable. It happens on long as well as short boards.
The rollers are as they were set when I bought it. I can't find any info on adjusting them??

If I member right you would have to shim the tables not the rollers. I only have snipe problems when my knifes are dull. I take it you have it all the time? When was the last time you replaced the knives? Run the planer up and lay a straight edge right across both tables. Check to make sure they are in plane both with each other and on both the front and back of each table. Check both sides and the middle.
The other leading cause is poor work support. if the piece is long when it hits the first roller the weight of the rest of the board will force the leading end up into the cutter head until it engages the out feed roller. Which pushes it back flat to the table until it passes by the infeed roller and the weight lifts the board back up.

Last edited:
Well I had a few minutes tonight so I put all the parts back on the 735. When I took it apart I took a pic with my phone as to where the wires went. I looked at the pic and it was not clear on which wire went where never looked for any more pics. I thought I had just taken the one. So I did the next best thing and guessed:thumb: got it all assembled and than had to run off to get KaLea. Got home and was looking at some other pics on my phone and came across another pic of the switch wiring. Now that's not how I plugged them wires in:doh: Just went out for the night stoking of the stove and swapped them to the right spots.:thumb::rofl::rofl:

Bob If you find that you can't deal with that 735 anymore I know some one that will give it a good home.:thumb::thumb:
Okay a pretty good home I only abuse the tools a little bit.:thumb::thumb:
Okay okay I'll beat the rest of the life out of it than use what ever is left for spare parts.:thumb::thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl: