Can't get there from here???

Al Launier

For the past ~couple weeks(?) whenever I've seen a referenced link in a FWW posting I've clicked on it, it changes to a dotted outline, and yet it doesn't deliver me to the link. I'm using IE. However, when I highlight & copy the link, & then paste it on the address bar it works. When doing the same with Google Chrome, I get the same results. Is it my mouse, my computer, or what? Frustrating.

Is it just FWW or any other pages as well?

Can you try it in Google Chrome?

With as much as it seems to be happening lately, I'm inclined to think that any issues with not being able to click a link has something to do with your browser. Perhaps it's been hijacked, or perhaps you have some kind of 'helper' extention installed that you didn't know about or intend to have help you.

Check out this thread for more info http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?29754-Malware

Thanks Brent, I just visited your FWW post via Google Chrome, clicked on the link & it took me there. I cannot click & go on IE. I'll review the extensions.

Perhaps not related, but if I have both browsers active, one the default, the other not, do they conflict with each other? If so, should I just not use one, or uninstall one?

I just tried to submit this post using IE, but when I clicked "Save" there was no response. I'm now on Chrome & it works. Seems like IE is compromised. Should I uninstall IE & download a fresh version?

Last edited:
I've got IE, Firefox, and Chrome all running on my machine. Sometimes I find sites that don't run well in Chrome of Firefox so have to back down to IE.

If I were you, I'd try and fix whatever is wrong with ie, and continue to use Chrome. Chrome is my goto browser at this point.

I'm not sure uninstalling IE and doing a fresh version would necessarily fix whats wrong. Take a look at the microsoft specific sites on fixing a browser hijack and see if that gets you back to normal on it.

Can you actually uninstall IE from a Windows computer? I didn't think it could be done.

Good question Vaughn, never thought beyond getting rid of it & downloading it again. Guess I was thinking that downloading it erases the original & replaces it, but that is just a guess. Since I can download IE, I may just try to see what happens. Right now I'm doing a complete/multi-hour scan using the Norton Security Suite. I'll play with IE when that is done, i.e. (pun intended) tomorrow.

Well, I have the Norton's Security Suite provided by Comcast & did the following:

1. Confirmed all Windows Updates were installed,
  2. Did a Full System Scan- several hours to complete,
  3. Went back to FWW & clicked on Brent's reference link - no change,
  4. Then highlighted the reference link & got a small blue framed square with an arrow inside. Clicked on it to go search for the link with Google & ~30 seconds later received a pop-up window with the text: "This Accelerator is not available at this time. Try a different Accelerator, or try again later."
  5. Highlighted the link again, got the blue framed box, clicked on "All Accelerators" & then searched with Google. This brought up a Google site with a normal listing of items.
  6. Downloaded & executed "Windows Malicious Software Removal" - no change,
  7. Downloaded & executed "Malwarebytes" - detected the following:
    1. PUP.AdBundle in two files
    2. PUM.Hijack.Start Menu in Registry Data
    3. I deleted the above & restarted the computer,
    4. Went back to the FWW site & clicked on Brent's reference link - no change.
  8. Also tried Task Manager/Processes & Ended Process for three individual iexplore *32 files listed. This was suggested on http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/browser-hijacking.aspx . I have the Vista Home Premium 64bit version, so I don't know if iexplore *32 is suposed to work on anything but a 32 bit system???
  9. Finally, I went back to the link above & tried it again. The dotted rectangle appeared, but didn't get me to the site. Then I right clicked the site then clicked on "Open" & it got me there. Tried this several times & it worked this way. Could it be something with the shortcut?
  10. Time for a nap! ;):rofl:

1. Finally, I went back to the link above & tried it again. The dotted rectangle appeared, but didn't get me to the site. Then I right clicked the site then clicked on "Open" & it got me there. Tried this several times & it worked this way. Could it be something with the shortcut?

I doubt it has anything to do with the shortcut. I've tried this on IE, firefox, and chrome, and am not seeing what you are describing. There is definitely something going on with your IE, but I'll be darned if I can figure it out.:huh: