Gun Control?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The main concern with most gun owners and a list of who owns what, like earlier this year where one of those lists got publicized. For thieves it tells them what is where. Also, with history, any country that has created this so called "innocent" list of guns and owners, eventually it led to a round up of those guns and owners. In the late '70's when we released all of the institutionalized people, here in Indiana that institution became a prison, half of the people returned as inmates. We as a nation need to do better with mental health. Anyone that has a troubled person in their family or neighborhood or church knows how hard/difficult/impossible it is to keep these people on their meds or get them to help in a timely manner.

It is always easier to keep track of the law abiding section of society. It is easier to confiscate from law abiding people as we generally won't resist. That list you speak of will not be responsible for probably 75% (my own number pulled from the air) of homocides/burglaries/home invasions/etc. We need to enforce what laws are on the books. Last week in my area newspaper there was a 20 something person sent to jail for 2nd offense small amount of marijuana. Same day, same paper, same court jurisdiction a woman got 90 days served as punishment for 2nd offense drunk driving and she killed three people she hit in another car! Just trying to explain, we have the laws on the books, but the interpretations based on who you are is ridiculous. A first time law abiding person that has no illegal information to share with the police or can turn on someone worse than them, gets a harsher sentence than career criminals. It isn't just firearms.

To put it in perspective, kind of like the uproar that went through the woodworking community when the saw stop inventor tried to coerce his product into every shop making all others obsolete and/or illegal. How would you like to be required and inspected that your saw was a sawstop and the other was destroyed??

The main concern with most gun owners and a list of who owns what, like earlier this year where one of those lists got publicized. For thieves it tells them what is where. Also, with history, any country that has created this so called "innocent" list of guns and owners, eventually it led to a round up of those guns and owners. In the late '70's when we released all of the institutionalized people, here in Indiana that institution became a prison, half of the people returned as inmates. We as a nation need to do better with mental health. Anyone that has a troubled person in their family or neighborhood or church knows how hard/difficult/impossible it is to keep these people on their meds or get them to help in a timely manner.

It is always easier to keep track of the law abiding section of society. It is easier to confiscate from law abiding people as we generally won't resist. That list you speak of will not be responsible for probably 75% (my own number pulled from the air) of homocides/burglaries/home invasions/etc. We need to enforce what laws are on the books. Last week in my area newspaper there was a 20 something person sent to jail for 2nd offense small amount of marijuana. Same day, same paper, same court jurisdiction a woman got 90 days served as punishment for 2nd offense drunk driving and she killed three people she hit in another car! Just trying to explain, we have the laws on the books, but the interpretations based on who you are is ridiculous. A first time law abiding person that has no illegal information to share with the police or can turn on someone worse than them, gets a harsher sentence than career criminals. It isn't just firearms.

To put it in perspective, kind of like the uproar that went through the woodworking community when the saw stop inventor tried to coerce his product into every shop making all others obsolete and/or illegal. How would you like to be required and inspected that your saw was a sawstop and the other was destroyed??

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb: Hit it on the head there Jonathan

There are lot's of reasons why good people have guns. There is only one reason why criminals have guns. As a long time shooter, I've looked at all the legislation presented and other than background checks on all transactions, I didn't find anything that would keep guns out of the wrong hands.

yup, sawstop is a real hot button topic.... :whistling:

Yeah I ain't touching that one with a hundred foot pole, people on both sides get right up in arms (you might say) about it.

The whole argument seems kinda silly, I mean missing fingers are a badge of pride for real woodworkers right?

Ryan - who still has all of his fingers partially intact.

The problem with common sense is that its so uncommon....

Well next we wont talk about anything. Not going to solve any issues ever if society that has common sense which i think most here do dont get involved and make their view heard sorry but i feel you guys in US are self surrendering your freedoms on a daily basis. Feels like dejavu of the regime i came from. :(
We all avoided discussing apartheid and the result messed up a perfectly fine place physically on the planet. Common sense only prevailed after many lives were destroyed.
If anything is important to teach in my view its the need for people to learn to listen and accept others views without malice and conflict. Without this point we never will evolve. Heck dogs and cats get on better than we humans do.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Rob, I'm quite certain that we all agree with you that openly talking about many subjects would do the world a great deal :thumb: , but this simply isn't the place to do so on this subject, per the forum rules.

Now, at the next Family meeting...we can solve all the worlds problems and probably creat a few more! :rofl:

There are options. It's not like there aren't a million other places on the web to go and discuss politics and religion. Heck, someone could even start their own forum just to discuss those issues!

Keep in mind that since this is a member run forum, it's not like the rules can't be changed. If folks really want to, we can always put it to a vote to open things up wide open.

But until that happens, the rules, as agreed upon by the members, says no politics or religion. If you even think it might be, then it probably is and doesn't belong.

Last edited:
Brent you are correct. It would even be possible to have a "Religion" topic area and/or a "Politics" topic area. I for one do not see the need for either of these within this "woodworking" forum.

The 2nd amendment isn't a political topic in itself Frank, but gun control would probably fall under political (title of the thread). :deadhorse:

In my humble (but reasonably well grounded) opinion, it is not possible to discuss the substance of the Second Amendment these days without raising political issues.

I hope the rules about political and religious posts on the forum continue to be observed, and enforced when necessary.

Tony

I went to a meeting of TN for liberty last night. I asked our sheriff in the meeting if it was leagal to carry your hand gun with out a permit on your own property.He replayed yes it was. Well the politician that was there, spoke up and said not really. Everyone in the room looked at him, woundering what he met. Guy Buck ( sheriff) looked over at him also, and said "in my county it is" as long as i'm sheriff here and you are a law abiding member of this county, No one and i meen no one will take your gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.