It's Friday - 3/8/2013 Edition

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Well, almost there, but it's 5:00 somewhere. Hoping to finish up some master bath stuff and get some drawer fronts and doors cut out with it being 60* today and tomorrow, need to cut some crown and put on a finish coat of paint on all the trim I installed this week and caulk around the floor.

Still trying to talk my wife into the new compact tractor, but may have to settle for a zero turn or smaller garden/yard tractor (JD X500) for now. Planning to go look at a few of those tomorrow morning, maybe drag her along.

May also try to clean out the house garage and finally get the xmas decorations back into the attic while it's warm.

What's everyone else got going?

Rewiring the shop. Making everything a true 20 amp circuit and separating the circuits. Never planned on having so much going on, that I would trip a breaker every now and then. Won't be a problem after this weekend.

Way more than I have time for.

Old over the range microwave died. We picked up a replacement the other day, so need to install that. The big trick here is that they never vented it to the outside, so I get to climb up in the attic and run the ducting through the roof. Might get interesting since there may be a couple of layers of roof to go through. I.e. they added on to the house and the kitchen is under where the two roofs would meet. Might just run it off to the side a bit.

Still need to finish up the entertainment center, and I think I heard someone remind me something about a table.

Plenty to do.

Finishing up a bowl I'm donating to an auction for a homeless shelter tomorrow morning. Then I hope to get the dust collection all put together so I can move on to making things. Suppose to be warm but wet all weekend so shop time might work out for me this time around.

Day off today, but already have 71 hours in this week, and have to work tomorrow. So a few housekeeping things today, a little cooking (pan fried chicken with fresh asparagus and fresh strawberries for dessert), and working on the layout for the solar installation for the Putter Palace.

Headed out in a bit to go see some friends playing at a local tavern. Probably spend some time with a friend tomorrow helping to pick out accessories for a new iPhone, then a nephew's baby shower on Sunday. Other than that, the rest of the weekend is pretty wide open and I'm gonna just let the winds take me wherever they want.

I just got the top to the latest project in the clamps and am staring to mill the parts for the next phase. Lunch break with LOML a little later (maybe we'll track Carol down, that chicken and such sounds great) and probably a bit of domestic-requirements shopping. Then back to the shop to scrape the top and clamp up the next parts.

Last edited:
So, didn't get much sleep last night due to heartburn. Was up around 3:00 am and I could hear rats in the attic.

The attic I need to climb around in today to run venting for the microwave/range hood.

I hate crawling around in crawlspaces and attics.

It's not the rats that bother me, but rather what they leave behind...

So much so I keep trying to find excuses not to do it, but the ladder is up, I'm cutting holes in the cabinets, nothing to do but go for it.

Well, I got lucky. Nothing was in the way on top of the microwave.

I got the holes cut out and the rectangular duct in position, but I need some more duct pieces and the roof vent cap is apparently a special order item.

I'll call it 50% done and finish routing the duct work when the roof vent get's here. Now on to some other projects...

Brent, do you have a gable vent close to where you are at? I don't like to put ready made leaks in roofs. If I can I always go for a gable vent and direct the air towards it.

Saturday Road 130 miles on the bike. Went and saw mom and dad up near Pa. Saturday evening party with a old HS buddy. 60th BD.
Sunday needed to be in the shop to add the 3rd coat of oil to a set of front doors plus I customer for my art who bought a Raccoon and Lion print. Heading home to paint the rest of the day.

Brent, do you have a gable vent close to where you are at? I don't like to put ready made leaks in roofs. If I can I always go for a gable vent and direct the air towards it.

Steve, I think you must be part genius. I do have a gable, just about exactly where I was going to put the roof vent.

It's not much of a gable, but it goes up and down instead and I wouldn't have to cut a hole in the roof.

I knew there was a reason I post the stupid things I do here on this site.

Thanks!

FWW-8811.jpg

You don't want to tie into another vent for hood vent as there's a good chance of the smells from what your cooking ending up in another part of the house not to mention the grease that gets sucked up into it.